Degrading ability of oligocyclic aromates by Phanerochaete sordida selected via screening of white rot fungi
- 204 Downloads
Seventy-nine white rot strains were screened to determine if they had the potential for use in the degradation of oligocyclic aromates (PAHs) by measuring their dye-decoloration rate. Fourteen strains that were selected based on their dye-decoloration rate were then evaluated for the ability to tolerate various levels of PAHs spiked in agar medium. The ability of white rot fungi to degrade 3- or 4-ring PAHs (anthracene, phenanthrene, fluoranthene, pyrene) was determined. Two strains of Phanerochaete sordida (KUC8369, KUC8370) were possible PAHs degraders, degrading a significantly greater amount of phenanthrene and fluoranthene than the culture collection strain P. chrysosporium (a known PAHs degrader). The production of manganese peroxidase, the only extracellular ligninolytic enzyme detected during the cultivation, was evaluated.
KeywordsPolycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Pyrene Phenanthrene Fluoranthene Lignin Peroxidase
extracellular ligninolytic enzyme(s)
malt extract agar medium
laccase (phenol oxidase)
oligocyclic aromate(s) (‘polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons’)
Remazol brilliant blue R
white rot fungus(i)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hwang S.S., Song H.G.: Biodegradation of pyrene by the white rot fungus, Irpex lacteus. J.Microbiol.Biotechnol.10, 344–348 (2000).Google Scholar
- Lamar R.T., Larsen M.J., Kirt T.K.: ’sensitivity to and degradation of pentachlorophenol by Phanerochaete spp. Appl.Environ. Microbiol.56, 3519–3526 (1990).Google Scholar
- Swofford D.L.: PAUP: Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony; version 4.0b10. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland (MA, USA) 2002.Google Scholar
- Wang P., Hu X., Cook S., Begonia M., Lee K.S., Hwang H.M.: Effect of culture conditions on the production of ligninolytic enzymes by white rot fungi Phanerochaete chrysosporium (ATCC 20696) and separation of its lignin peroxidase. World J.Microbiol.Biotechnol.24, 2205–2212 (2008).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- White T.J., Bruns T.D., Lee S., Taylor J.W.: Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics, pp. 315–322 in M.A. Innis, D.H. Gelfand, J.J. Sninsky, T.J. White (Eds): PCR Protocols: a Guide to Methods and Applications. Academic Press, San Diego (CA, USA) 1990.Google Scholar