The removal of heavy metals in aqueous solution by hydroxyapatite/cellulose composite
- First Online:
- 352 Downloads
Hydroxyapatite has an excellent ion-exchangeability and is expected to be used as an agent for the removal of heavy metal ions in wastewater. However, the pure hydroxyapatite is very difficult to use because it exists in the form of white powder. Thus, the pure hydroxyapatite was mixed with cellulose to utilize its ion-exchangeability. In this research, a method for dispersion of hydroxyapatite in cellulose matrix is described and its dispersion is observed with scanning electron microscopy. The removal ratios of some heavy metal ions with hydroxyapatite composite are examined with regard to reaction time and amount of hydroxyapatite composite. The ion-exchangeability of hydroxyapatite composite did not seem to be interfered by cellulose matrix during removing heavy metal ions.
KeywordsHydroxyapatite Cellulose Composite Heavy metal Dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U. Ilhan and G. Fuat, Turk J. Chem., 24, 291 (2000).Google Scholar
- 2.P. G. Hwang, I. S. Shin, C. H. Choi, and S. M. Lee, J. Korean Tech. Soc. Water and Water Treatment, 12, 19 (2004).Google Scholar
- 3.K. S. Doh, K. W. Lee, and K. I. Paik, Korea Soc. Waste Management, 7, 17 (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.J. T. Kang and K. H. Jeong, J. Korean Envir. Sci. Soc., 4, 325 (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.J. H. Shin, Master’s Thesis, Dongshin University, Jeonnam, 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Y. G. Seo and D. K. Lee, J. Korean Inst. Chem. Eng., 33, 360 (1995).Google Scholar