A Gap Theorem for Free Boundary Minimal Surfaces in Geodesic Balls of Hyperbolic Space and Hemisphere
- 157 Downloads
In this paper we provide a pinching condition for the characterization of the totally geodesic disk and the rotational annulus among minimal surfaces with free boundary in geodesic balls of three-dimensional hyperbolic space and hemisphere. The pinching condition involves the length of the second fundamental form, the support function of the surface, and a natural potential function in hyperbolic space and hemisphere.
KeywordsGap theorem Minimal surface Free boundary Hyperbolic space Hemisphere
Mathematics Subject Classification53C42 53C20
The authors would like to thank the referees for careful reading of the paper and for the valuable suggestions and comments which made this paper better and more readable. They wish to thank Professor Ben Andrews for his interest in this work. The second author is also grateful to Professor Jaigyoung Choe for discussions on minimal surfaces in hyperbolic space at the workshop on Nonlinear and Geometric Partial Differential Equations at Kioloa Campus of ANU, 2016, Australia. The first author was supported by NSFC Grant No. 11671224. The second author was supported by a postdoctoral fellowship funded via ARC Laureate Fellowship FL150100126.
- 2.Ambrozio, L., Nunes, I.: A gap theorem for free boundary minimal surfaces in the three-ball. arXiv:1608.05689
- 8.Chern, S.S., do Carmo, M., Kobayashi, S.: Minimal submanifolds of a sphere with second fundamental form of constant length. In: 1970 Functional Analysis and Related Fields (Proc. Conf. for M. Stone, Univ. Chicago, Chicago, Ill., 1968), pp. 59–75. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 9.Devyver, B.: Index of the critical catenoid. arXiv:1609.02315
- 13.Fraser, A., Schoen, R.: Uniqueness theorems for free boundary minimal disks in space forms. Int. Math. Res. Not. 2015(17), 8268–8274 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Li, H., Wei, Y., Xiong, C.: A note on Weingarten hypersurfaces in the warped product manifold, Internat. J. Math. 25(14), 1450121 (2014)Google Scholar
- 20.McGrath, P.: A characterization of the critical catenoid. arXiv:1603.04114
- 26.Smith, G., Zhou, D.: The Morse index of the critical catenoid. arXiv:1609.01485 (to appear in Geom. Dedicata)
- 28.Tran, H.: Index characterization for free boundary minimal surfaces. arXiv:1609.01651 (to appear in Comm. Anal. Geom)