Microgravity Investigation of Seepage Flows in Porous Media
- 39 Downloads
The capillary driven seepage in porous media under microgravity conditions is investigated. Experiments on the flow of a liquid in an inhomogeneous artificial porous medium are presented. A non-stationary mathematical model of the flow of a multiphase fluid in a sample of a porous medium is described. The experimental data are compared with the results of a three-dimensional numerical simulation of the multiphase seepage process. The behavior of the imbibition front when passing through a boundary of medias with different permeability is investigated.
KeywordsMicrogravity Imbibition Capillary forces Porous inhomogeneous media Seepage flows
The authors wish to acknowledge the support by Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Grant initiative № 16-29-15080).
- Istasse, E.: Determination of capillary characteristics in porous media, Brussels (2001)Google Scholar
- Lake, L.W.: Enhanced oil recovery. Prentice-Hall (1989)Google Scholar
- Nigmatilin, R.I.: Dynamics of multiphase media. Moscow Science Publication (1987)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Dushin, V.R., Legros, J.C., Istasse, E., Boseret, N., Mincke, J.C., Goodman, S.: Multiphase flows in porous medium – mathematical model and microgravity experiments. Microgravity Sci. Technol. IX/3, 222–231 (1996)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Nikitin, V.F., Norkin, A.V., Kudryavtseva, O.V., Legros, J.C., Istasse, E., Shevtsova, V.M.: Capillary driven filtration in porous media. microgravity - science and technology. Hanser Publ., Munich. Germany. XII(/1), 23–35 (1999)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N. N., Legros, J. C. Nikitin,, V. F., Istasse, E., Schramm, L., Wassmuth, F., D’Arcy Hart: Filtration in artificial porous media and natural sands under microgravity conditions. Microgravity - Science and Technology. Z-Tec Publishing, Bremen, Germany, vol. XIV/2 pp. 3–28 (2003).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Nikitin, V.F., Ivashnyov, O.E., Maximenko, A., Thiercelin, M., Vedernikov, A., Scheid, B., Legros, J.C.: Microgravity investigations of instability and mixing flux in frontal displacement of fluids. Microgravity Sci. Technol. XV/3, 3–28 (2004)Google Scholar
- Smirnov, N.N., Dushin, V., Nikitin, V., Philippov, Y.: Two phase flows in porous media under microgravity conditions. Microgravity Sci. Technol. 20(3–4), 155–160 (2008)Google Scholar