Transient Effect of Micro Vibration from Two Space Vehicles on Mixture During Thermodiffusion Experiment
- 212 Downloads
Numerical modeling of thermodiffusion experiment for a binary mixture of water and isopropanol under micro-vibrations condition is presented. The vibrations obtained onboard ISS and FOTON-M3 are due to different activities. The effect of micro-gravity vibration level on the variation of mixture properties were investigated in detail. In this paper, the thermodiffusion experiment was investigated for two different g-jitter vibrations in the presence of a thermal gradient. The cavity is filled with a binary mixture of water and isopropanol with negative Soret. All physical properties including density, mass diffusion and thermodiffusion coefficients were assumed as functions of temperature and concentration. In order to understand the behavior of the mixture during the course of the experiment, five locations in the domain were chosen. It was found that a similarity between g-jitter vibration and induced velocity pattern exist. Micro vibration was found to have a minimal effect on the molecular and thermodiffusion coefficients.
KeywordsThermodiffusion Micro-gravity CFD simulation Binary mixture Transient study ISS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eslamian, M., Saghir, M.Z.: Microscopic study and modeling of thermodiffusion in binary associating mixtures. Phys. Rev. 061201, 80 (2009)Google Scholar
- Mialdun, A., Ryzhkov, I.I., Melnikov, D.E., Shevtsova, V.: Experimental evidence of thermal vibrational convection in a nonuniformly heated fluid in a reduced gravity environment. Phys. Rev. Lett. 084501, 101 (2008)Google Scholar
- Parsa, A., Saghir, M.Z.: Thermodiffusion in a binary mixture subject on external vibration: effect of variable physical properties. In: ASME/JSME, Honolulu (2011)Google Scholar
- Parsa, A., Srinivasan, S., Saghir, M.Z.: Impact of density gradients on the fluid flow inside a vibrating cavity subjected to soret effect. Can. J. Chem. Eng., 1–10 (2012). doi: 10.1002/cjce.21666
- Patankar, S.V.: Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, New York (1980)Google Scholar
- Platten, J.K.: Proceedings of the 5th international meeting on thermodiffusion (IMT5). Philos. Mag. 83, 17–18 (2003)Google Scholar
- Rogers, J.B., Hrovat, M.K., McPherson, K.: Accelerometer data analusis and presentation techniques. In: NASA (2002)Google Scholar
- Srinivasan, S., Saghir, M.Z.: Experimental Approaches to Study Thermodiffusion. Elsevier (2010)Google Scholar
- Srinivasan, S., Eslamian,M., Saghir, M.Z.: Estimation of the thermodiffusion coefficients for n-dodecane/n-butane/methane mixtures and comparison with experimental data from foton M3 mission. In: IAC (IAC-09-A2.3.1) (2009)Google Scholar
- Srinivasan, S., Dejmeck, M., Saghir, M.Z.: Thermo-solutal-diffusion in high pressure liquid mixtures in the presence of micro-vibrations. Int. J. Therm. Sci. 10, 1016 (2010)Google Scholar