Is central Croatian Adriatic Sea under plastic attack? Preliminary results of composition, abundance and sources of marine litter on three beaches
- 62 Downloads
Marine litter is a worldwide problem. It impacts negatively marine environment, organisms, human health and coastal communities. In this research, abundance, composition and sources of marine litter (macro-debris > 2.5 cm) and beach cleanliness were assessed for three beaches in the central Croatian Adriatic Sea. Mean abundance for the studied region was 3.35 items/m2 and the highest recorded CCI value was 150. Most of the collected litter was made of artificial polymer material (93.86%), and main sources of litter were shoreline activities representing (31.68% of the total sample) and fishing and aquaculture representing (12.66% of the total sample). Land-based and sea-based sources accounted for 32.76% and 15.16%, respectively. Results from the present study provide another evidence of marine litter problem and high presence of plastic items in the marine environment of the Adriatic Sea. Presence of litter from different countries shows the internationality of marine litter problem which can only be solved by international collaborations and partnerships as well as by taking individual responsibility of all. Presence of the short-life single-use plastic items and the problems associated with them have been recognized in this study as most of the items collected were single-use items. High abundance of these items indicates not only their large use in everyday life, but also the lack of awareness of the general public about the environmental problem they cause. Moreover, the results obtained in this research imply the need for better waste management systems.
KeywordsMarine litter Marine debris Plastics Beach Adriatic Sea
The authors would like to thank Public Institution for Management of Protected Areas in the County of Zadar Natura Jadera and Telašćica Nature Park for their logistical support during this research.
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human and animal rights statement
Research did not involve human and/or animals, hence did not need any kind of consent.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kovač Viršek M, Bojanić Varezić D, Digka N, Fortibuoni T, Koren Š, Mandić M, Mytilineou C, Pešić A, Ronchi F, Šiljić J, Torre M, Tsangaris C, Tutman P (2018) Assessment on marine litter ingested by fish in the Adriatic and NE Ionian Sea macro-region (Mediterranean). Mar Pollut Bull 133:841–851. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.06.050 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Arcangeli A, Campana I, Angeletti D, Atzori F, Azzolin M, Carosso L, Di Miccoli V, Giacoletti A, Gregorietti M, Luperini C, Paraboschi M, Pellegrino G, Ramazio M, Sara G, Crosti R (2018) Amount, composition, and spatial distribution of floating macro litter along fixed trans-border transects in the Mediterranean basin. Mar Pollut Bull 129(2):545–554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2017.10.028 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dupont S, Fauville G (2017) Ocean literacy as a key toward sustainable development and ocean governance. In: Nunes P, Svensson LE, Markandya A (eds) Handbook on the economics and management of sustainable oceans. Edward Elgar Publishers & UNEP, Cheltenham, pp 519–537. https://doi.org/10.4337/9781786430724 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- European Commission (EC) (1994) European Parliament and Council Directive 94/62/EC of 20 December 1994 on packaging and packaging waste. Off J 365:10–23Google Scholar
- European Commision (EC) (1999) Directive 1999/31/EC on the landfillof waste. Council of the European Union, Brussels, pp 1–19Google Scholar
- European Commision (EC) (2008a) Directive 2008/98/EC of the European Parliament and the Council of 19 November 2008 on Waste and Repealing Certain DirectivesGoogle Scholar
- European Commision (EC) (2008b) Directive 2008/56/EC of the European Parliament and the Council of 17 June 2008 establishing a framework for community action in the field of marine environmental policy. Marine Strategy Framework DirectiveGoogle Scholar
- Galgani F, Hanke G, Werner S, de Vrees L, Piha H, Abaza V, Alcaro L, Belchior C, Brooks C, Budziak A, Carroll C, Christiansen T, Dagevos J, Detloff K, Fleet D, Hagebro C, Holdsworth N, Kamizoulis G, Katsanevakis S, Kinsey S, Lopez-Lopez L, Maes T, Matiddi M, Meacle M, Morison S, Mouat J, Nilsson P, Oosterbaan L, Palatinus A, Rendell J, López SA, Sheavly SB, Sobral P, Svärd B, Thompson R, van Franeker J, Veiga J, Velikova V, Vlachogianni T, Wenneker B (2011) Marine litter, technical recommendations for the implementation of MSFD requirements, MSFD GES technical subgroup on marine litter. Publications Office of the European Union, Brussels. https://doi.org/10.2788/92438 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lippiatt S, Opfer S, Arthur C (2013) Marine debris monitoring and assessment. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS-OR&R-46Google Scholar
- OSPAR (2009) Marine litter in the north-east Atlantic region: assessment and priorities for response. OSPAR, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Palatinus A, Virsek MK, Robic U, Grego M, Bajt O, Siljic J, Suaria G, Liubartseva S, Coppini G, Peterlin MAF (2019) Marine litter in the Croatian part of the middle Adriatic Sea: simultaneous assessment of floating and seabed macro and micro litter abundance and composition. Mar Pollut Bull 139:427–439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.12.038 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- PNUE/PAM/MEDPOL (2009) Results of the assessment of the status of marine litter in the Mediterranean. Meeting of MED POL Focal Points No. 334, p 91Google Scholar
- Poeta G, Battisti C, Bazzichetto M, Acosta ATR (2016) The cotton buds beach: marine litter assessment along the Tyrrhenian coast of central Italy following the marine strategy framework directive criteria. Mar Pollut Bull 113(1–2):266–270. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2016.09.035 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rayon-Viña F, Miralles L, Fernandez-Rodríguez S, Dopico E, Garcia-Vazquez E (2019) Marine litter and public involvement in beach cleaning: disentangling perception and awareness among adults and children, Bay of Biscay, Spain. Mar Pollut Bull 141:112–118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.02.034 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Renzi M, Specchiulli A, Blašković A et al (2019) Marine litter in stomach content of small pelagic fishes from the Adriatic Sea: sardines (Sardina pilchardus) and anchovies (Engraulis encrasicolus). Environ Sci Pollut Res 26(3):2771–2781. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-3762-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Santoro F, Santin S, Scowcroft G, Fauville G, Tuddenham P (2017) Ocean literacy for all—a toolkit. IOC/UNESCO and UNESCO Venice Office, Paris (IO Manuals and Guides) Google Scholar
- Strafella P, Fabi G, Despalatovic M, Cvitkovic I, Fortibuoni T, Gomiero A, Guicciardi S, Marceta B, Raicevich S, Tassetti AN, Spagnolo A, Scarcella G (2019) Assessment of seabed litter in the Northern and Central Adriatic Sea (Mediterranean) over 6 years. Mar Pollut Bull 141:24–35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.12.054 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tutman P, Kapiris K, Kirinčić M, Pallaoro A (2017) Floating marine litter as a raft for drifting voyages for Planes minutus (Crustacea: Decapoda: Grapsidae) and Liocarcinus navigator (Crustacea: Decapoda: Polybiidae). Mar Pollut Bull 120:217–221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2017.04.063 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UNEP (2005) Marine litter: an analytical overview. UNEP, NairobiGoogle Scholar
- UNEP (2009) Marine litter: a global challenge. UNEP, Nairobi, p 232Google Scholar
- UNEP/MAP (2012) State of the mediterranean marine and coastal environment. Barcelona Convention, Athens. http://planbleu.org/en/publications/state-mediterranean-marine-and-coastal-environment. Accessed 1 Jun 2018
- Vlachogianni T. Anastasopoulou A, Fortibuoni T, Ronchi F, Zeri C (2017) Marine litter assessment in the Adriatic and Ionian Seas. IPA-Adriatic DeFishGear Project, MIO-ECSDE, HCMR and ISPRA, pp 168 (ISBN: 978-960-6793-25-7)Google Scholar
- Vlachogianni T, Fortibuoni T, Ronchi F, Zeri C, Mazziotti C, Tutman P, Bojanic D, Palatinus A, Trdan S, Peterlin M, Mandic M, Markovic O, Prvan M, Kaberi H, Prevenios M, Kolitari J, Kroqi G, Fusco M, Kalampokis E, Scoullos M (2018) Marine litter on the beaches of the Adriatic and Ionian Seas: an assessment of their abundance, composition and sources. Mar Pollut Bull 131:745–756. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.05.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zeri C, Adamopoulou A, Bojanić Varezić D, Fortibuoni T, Kovač Viršek M, Kržan A, Mandic M, Mazziotti C, Palatinus A, Peterlin M, Prvan M, Ronchi F, Siljic J, Tutman P, Vlachogianni T (2018) Floating plastics in Adriatic waters (Mediterranean Sea): from the macro- to the micro-scale. Mar Pollut Bull 136:341–350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.09.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar