Deep drawing of polymer coated metal sheets
- 10 Downloads
In the present study, the deep drawing of polymer coated metallic sheets were experimentally investigated to reduce friction and increase manufacturing efficiency without using a lubricant. Coating of metal sheets with a polymer material before the deep drawing process provides numerous other advantages such as long service life, decorative appearance, corrosion protection, prevention of excessive abrasion. In the experiments, deep drawing ratio, blank holder pressure, and punch speed parameters were varied at various intervals and the obtained values were evaluated via graphs. Experiments of the uncoated metal sheets were conducted as well as the coated ones to compare the results. Results of this study showed that the polymer coating improved the surface quality of the test specimens. As a result of this improvement; the average molding forces decreased, obtained deep drawing ratios increased and defects such as tearing and wrinkling were alleviated by coating metal sheets with polymer material compared to uncoated sheets.
KeywordsSheet metal forming Deep drawing DC01 steel Polymer coating Surface roughness Average molding force
Blank sheet diameter
Average molding force
Blank holder force
Deep drawing force
Maximum punch stroke
Blank holder pressure
Arithmetic mean roughness
Deep drawing ratio
Ultimate tensile strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research has been realized using the support of Scientific Research Projects Department, Hitit University, Turkey. This support which obtained from projects MUH19004. 17.002 and MUH19004.16.006 is gratefully acknowledged.
- A. C. S. Reddy and S. Rajesham, Determination of LDR in deep drawing using reduced number of blanks, Materials Today: Proceedings, 5 (13) (2018) 27136–27141.Google Scholar
- M. P. Groover, Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing: Materials, Processes, and Systems, 6th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., NJ, USA (2016).Google Scholar
- H. U. Tschaetsch, Metal Forming Practise, Springer Verlag: Berlin, Germany (2006).Google Scholar
- Anonymous, Erdemir Sheet Metal Catalog, Erdemir Factory (2017).Google Scholar
- J. Steiner, T. Her, R. Zhao, K. Andreas, M. Schmidt, S. Tremmel and M. Merklein, Analysis of tool-sided surface modifications for dry deep drawing of deep drawing steel and aluminum alloys in a model process, Dry Metal Form OAJ FMT, 3 (2017) 30–40.Google Scholar
- MSC Software Company, Simufact.forming 14.0 Tutorial (2015).Google Scholar