Grid-independent large-eddy simulation of turbulent wake flow using explicit differential filters
- 12 Downloads
Large-eddy simulations (LES) using explicit filtering are performed to obtain grid-independent solutions of turbulent wake flow behind a circular cylinder at ReD = 3900 on non-Cartesian type grids. A differential elliptic equation where the filter kernel is implicitly defined is discretized in an unstructured-grid solver to enable explicit filtering on non-Cartesian grids. The separation of filtering procedure from discretization is known to produce an LES solution of which error is mainly attributed to the capability of a sub-filter scale (SFS) model. Equipped with the differential filter and the Vreman SFS model, explicitly filtered LES on unstructured grids is shown to produce nearly grid-independent solutions for flow over a circular cylinder at a critical Reynolds number.
KeywordsExplicit filter Differential filter Large-eddy simulation Filter to grid ratio Cylinder Curvilinear grid Unstructured solver
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. R. Heye, C. M. Kaul and V. Raman, Analysis of scalar variance modeling for large eddy simulation of combustion using explicit filtering, Seventh International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena (2011).Google Scholar
- A. Haselbacher, Discrete filtering on unstructured grids based on least-squares gradient reconstruction, Proceedings of the Third AFOSR International Conference on DNS/LES (2001).Google Scholar
- S. T. Bose, P. Moin and F. Ham, Explicitly filtered large eddy simulation on unstructured grids, Center of Turbulence Research Annual Research Briefs (2011) 87–96.Google Scholar
- F. Ham and G. Iaccarino, Energy conservation in collocated discretization schemes on unstructured meshes, Center of Turbulence Research Annual Research Briefs (2004) 3–14.Google Scholar
- J. Gullbrand, Grid-independent large-eddy simulation in turbulent channel flow using three-dimensional explicit filtering, Center of Turbulence Research Annual Research Briefs (2003) 331–342.Google Scholar
- S. Bose, Explicitly filtered large-eddy simulation: with application to grid adaptation and wall modeling, Doctoral Dissertation, Stanford University (2012).Google Scholar
- C. Norberg, Effects of Reynolds Number and a Low-Intensity Freestream Turbulence on the Flow around a Circular Cylinder, Chalmers University, Goteborg, Sweden, Technological Publications, 87 (2) (1987) 1–55.Google Scholar