Nucleate pool boiling heat transfer characteristics of R600a with CuO nanoparticles
- 4 Downloads
The present research work investigates the effect of CuO nanoparticles on the nucleate boiling heat transfer characteristics of Isobutane (R600a) refrigerant. All the pool boiling experiments are carried with both pure and nano-refrigerants of 0.01, 0.025, 0.05 and 0.1 percentage by volume. The heat flux is varied from 2 kW.m-2 to 20 kW.m-2 at a regular interval of 2 kW.m-2. The heat transfer coefficient values for the pool boiling condition of R600a refrigerant are calculated experimentally, which are less deviating from the established theoretical correlations. The added CuO nanoparticles significantly influenced the nucleate boiling heat transfer coefficient of R600a refrigerant at higher heat flux values. The experiment results reveal that the thermophoretic mobility of nanoparticles play a major role in nanofluids heat transport. In the present work, CuO nanoparticles addition in R600a is optimized and is justified based on gravity and agglomeration effect.
KeywordsNanoparticles R600a Heat transfer Pool boiling Thermophoresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. C. Felgueiras, R. Santos, L. M. Fonseca and N. S. Caetano, Buildings Sustainability: The HVAC Contribution, J. Clean Energy Technol., 4 (5) (2016).Google Scholar
- Energy Information Administration, Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption survey, https://doi.org/www.eia.gov, HomeEnergy ExplainedUse of EnergyIn Commercial Buildings (accessed 12.05.16).
- K. Bartelt, Y. Park, L. Liu and A. Jacobi, Flow-boiling of R-134a/ POE/CuO nanofluids in a horizontal tube, International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference, Purdue (2008) 928.Google Scholar
- J. P. Holman, Experimental methods for engineers, 7th edition, Mc-Graw Hill (2011).Google Scholar
- M. G. Cooper, Heat flow rates in saturated nucleate pool boiling-A wide ranging examination using reduced properties, Advances in Heat Transfer, Academic Press, 16 (1984) 157–239.Google Scholar
- R. Azizian, H. S. Aybar and T. Okutucu, Effect of nanoconvection due to Brownian motion on thermal conductivity of nanofluids, Proceedings of 7th IASME/WSEAS International Conference on Heat Transfer, Thermal Engineering and Environment (2009).Google Scholar