Experimental investigation of cutting force, surface roughness and tool wear in high-speed dry milling of AISI 4340 steel
- 1 Downloads
The high-speed dry milling of AISI 4340 steel was carried out with a CVD Al2O3/TiCN coated carbide tool. The relationships between cutting force, surface roughness and cutting parameter were conducted, and the influence of tool wear on cutting force and surface roughness was also investigated. The wear mechanism of coated tool was revealed by SEM micrograph and EDS analysis. Due to the lower tool wear rate, the increase of cutting forces and surface roughness Ra was smaller at the initial wear stage and the steady wear stage, whereas the increase of cutting forces was improved suddenly when the flank wear was more than 0.25 mm. Additionally, the coated tool wear was mainly caused by adhesion, abrasion, oxidation and diffusion, accompanied with a little peeling and chipping. The research results are expected to provide optimum cutting parameters for high-efficiency machining of high-strength steel.
KeywordsCoated tool Dry milling Cutting force Surface roughness Tool wear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. R. Das, A. Panda and D. Dhupal, Experimental investigation of surface roughness, flank wear, chip morphology and cost estimation during machining of hardened AISI 4340 steel with coated carbide insert, Mech. Adv. Mater. Mod. Process. (2017) 3: 9.Google Scholar
- I. Meddour, M. A. Yallese, R. Khattabi, M. Elbah and L. Boulanouar, Investigation and modeling of cutting forces and surface roughness when hard turning of AISI 52100 steel with mixed ceramic tool: Cutting conditions optimization, Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., 77 (2015) 1387–1399.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- H. Aouici, M. A. Yallese, A. Belbah, M fameur and M. Elbah, Experimental investigation of cutting parameters influence on surface roughness and cutting forces in hard turning of X38CrMoV5-1 with CBN tool, Sādhanā, 38 (2013) 429–445.Google Scholar
- G. Zheng, L. Li, Z. Li, J. Gao and Z. Niu, Wear mechanisms of coated tools in high-speed hard turning of high strength steel. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., 94 (9–12) (2018) 4553–4563.Google Scholar
- A. Bhattacharyya, Metal cutting theory and practice, New Central Book Agency (P) Ltd, Calcutta. (1998).Google Scholar