Vibration reduction of automotive transmission control cables
- 6 Downloads
A reduction in the level of vibration in the gearshift lever module in the cabin of automobiles may have a positive effect on driver comfort. The vibration to the gearshift lever module is transferred through transmission control cables (TCCs) connected to the shift lever attached to the body of a transmission or transaxle. Ways to reduce vibrations are evaluated by analyzing vibration characteristics of TCCs employed in conventional gearshift lever modules. The analysis was carried out by both analytical and experimental approaches, including the construction and analysis of a finite element model of the module. By utilizing the results from the analysis, a vibration reduction method was proposed and its applicability was also investigated. It is observed from the investigation that the proposed method is a viable solution for both the reduction of vibration-related issues in gearshift level modules and improvement of ride quality.
KeywordsVibration reduction Automotive transmission cable Modelling Finite element analysis (FEA) Experimental test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Y. Xu and Z. X. Chen, Experimental study of the dynamic performance of a cable with a detecting robot, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 433–435 (2013) 146–150.Google Scholar
- J. K. Kim, J. B. Kim, D. S. Kang, W. S. Kim, M. Y. Kim, S. B. Lee and H. J. Yim, A study on dynamic characteristic of robot cables, Proceedings of Spring Conference of Korea Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, 4 (2014) 495–499 (in Korean).Google Scholar
- J. E. Tatera, Vibration reduction of marine cable systems using dynamic absorbers, Master’s Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA (1996).Google Scholar
- Web page, Full width at half maximum, [Online]_Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_width_at_half_maximum.Google Scholar
- S. G. Kelly, Mechanical vibrations: Theory and applications. Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning (2012).Google Scholar