Improved predictive model to the cross-sectional resistance of CFT
- 52 Downloads
This paper proposes an improved theoretical prediction equation for Concrete-filled steel tubes (CFT) subjected to compressive forces. This ultimate load capacity is inferred from a database of 344 experimental results reported in the literature by using Gene expression programming (GEP). Moreover, a series of structural comparisons between design provisions, other mechanically-derived expressions and the proposed prediction are addressed. The levels of accuracy, practical use and phenomenological understanding of the phenomenon are pinpointed. The results obtained are in good agreement with both the experimental and theoretical predictions. Advantages and disadvantages of such type of predictions are pinpointed.
KeywordsConcrete-filled tubes CFT Gene expression programming GEP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bradford Centre for Sustainable Environments (2014).Google Scholar
- J. Hajjar, B. Gourley, C. Tort, M. Denavit and P. Schiller, Steel-concrete composite structural systems, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northeastern University (2013).Google Scholar
- J. W. Hu, E. Choi and R. T. Leon, Design, analysis and application of innovative composite PR connections between steel beams and CFT columns, Smart Mater. Struct., 20 (2) (2011).Google Scholar
- J. W. Hu, J. Park and R. T. Leon, Advanced analysis and performance based evaluation of concrte filled tube (CFT) columns, Adv. Steel Constr., 6 (4) (2010) 1019–1033.Google Scholar
- C. Ferreira, Designing neural networks using gene expression programming, Advances in Soft Computing (2006) 517–535.Google Scholar
- I. Mansouri, J. W. Hu and O. Kisi, Novel predictive model of the debonding strength for masonry members retrofitted with FRP, Appl. Sci., 6 (11) (2016).Google Scholar
- Richart F., Brandtzaeg A. and Brown R., A study of the failure of concrete under combined compressive stresses, Bulletin. University of Illinois, 26 (12) (1928).Google Scholar
- N. J. Gardner and E. R. Jacobson, Structural behavior of concrete filled steel tubes, ACI J., 64 (7) (1967) 404–413.Google Scholar
- Design of composite steel and concrete structures. Part 1: General rules and rules for buildings, Design of Composite Steel and Concrete Structures (1994).Google Scholar