Flow structure and heat transfer in a square duct fitted with dual/quadruple twisted-tapes: Influence of tape configuration
- 121 Downloads
Numerical prediction is reported of thermohydraulic characteristics of square ducts equipped with dual and quadruple twisted tapes (DTs and QTs) with different configurations. The studied cases include (1) dual co-tapes (Co-DTs), (2) dual counter-tapes (C-DTs), (3) diagonal dual counter-tapes (C-DDTs), (4) diagonal dual co-tapes (Co-DDTs), (5) quadruple co-tapes (Co-QTs), (6) quadruple counter-tapes (CC-QTs) and (7) quadruple counter-tapes (PC-QTs). The results of these cases are compared with those of a smooth duct (a duct without tape insert) and also the one with a single tape (ST). The prediction involves using the RNG k-ε turbulent model under constant wall heat flux condition in the turbulent flow regime for the Reynolds number ranging from 6000 to 14000. The prediction indicates that thermohydraulic characteristics in ducts with twisted tape are strongly dependent on number and configuration of tapes. However, the influence of tape number is more significant than that of tape configuration. Heat transfer and friction increase as tape number increases. QTs offer superior heat transfer to DTs but their thermal performance factors are lower. For the tape inserts determined, DTs with diagonal configuration (Co-DDTs and C-DDTs) is the best design as the tapes offer the best thermal performance. The highest thermal performance factors given by Co-DTs, Co-DDTs, C-DTs, C-DDTs, Co-QTs, PC-QTs and CC-QTs, are around 1.21, 1.35, 1.25, 1.38, 1.08, 1.18, and 1.22, respectively.
KeywordsHeat transfer enhancement Heat exchanger Swirl flow Twisted tapes Multiple twisted tapes Dual/quadruple twisted tapes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Sun and L. Wang, Numerical simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer in tube inserting twisted-tape, Huagong Xuebao/J. of Chemical Industry and Engineering (China), 55 (2004) 1422–1427.Google Scholar
- L. Zhang, H. Qian, Y. Xuan and X. Yu, 3D numerical simulation of fluid flow and heat transfer in self-rotating twistedtape-inserted tube, Huagong Xuebao/J. of Chemical Industry and Engineering (China), 56 (2005) 1633–1638.Google Scholar
- S. H. Zhou, X. H. Deng, Y. J. Wang and Z. W. Li, Numerical simulation and experimental investigation of heat transfer at shell side of heat exchanger enhanced with regularlyspaced twisted tapes, Huanan Ligong Daxue Xuebao/ Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science), 35 (2007) 77–81.Google Scholar
- H. Nakaharai, S. Takami, T. Yokomine, S. Ebara and A. Shimizu, Numerical study of heat transfer characteristics in a tube with regularly spaced twisted tape, Fusion Science and Technology, 52 (2007) 855–859.Google Scholar
- M. N. Hong and X. H. Deng, Numerical simulation on flow resistance and heat transfer properties of a convergingdiverging tube with regularly spaced twisted-tape elements, Petrochemical Equipment, 36 (2007) 42–44.Google Scholar
- Z. W. Tang, W. J. Yu and X. Li, Numerical simulation on enhanced heat transfer of pipe inserted with twisted-tapes, Beijing Gongye Daxue Xuebao/J. of Beijing University of Technology, 35 (2009) 652–658.Google Scholar
- J. Guo, K. Yang and W. Liu, Numerical simulation of heat transfer enhancement by adding cross twisted-tape in the circular tube, Kung Cheng Je Wu Li Hsueh Pao/Journal of Engineering Thermophysics, 30 (2009) 1216–1218.Google Scholar
- Y. Wang, M. Hou, X. Deng, L. Li, C. Huang, H. Huang, G. Zhang, C. Chen and W. Huang, Configuration optimization of regularly spaced short-length twisted tape in a circular tube to enhance turbulent heat transfer using CFD modeling, Applied Thermal Engineering, 31 (2011) 1141–1149.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Y. X. Hong, X. H. Deng, L. S. Zhang, F. Jiao and Z. P. Yang, Numerical simulation on heat transfer and flow characteristics of converging-diverging tube bundles supported with regularly spaced twisted tapes, Huaxue Gongcheng/Chemical Engineering (China), 40 (2012) 28–31.Google Scholar
- R. J. Yadav and A. S. Padalkar, CFD analysis for heat transfer enhancement inside a circular tube with half-length upstream and half-length downstream twisted tape, J. of Thermodynamics, 1 (2012).Google Scholar
- F. Incropera and P. D. Dewitt, Introduction to Heat Transfer, 3rd ed., Wiley (1996).Google Scholar