Study on droplet formation with surface tension for electrohydrodynamic inkjet nozzle
- 556 Downloads
Droplet ejection from an electrohydrodynamic (EHD) inkjet nozzle depends on many factors such as an onset voltage, liquid conductivity, surface tension, etc. Since the surface tension has an influence on the contact angle between the nozzle surface and the liquid droplet, the surface tension change should be investigated for the control of the droplet ejection. In this study, surfactant, which can weaken the surface tension force, was used to analyze the effect of the surface tension. Furthermore, hydrophobic coating of the nozzle surface was considered as another factor for the droplet ejection. Also, a flow visualization technique was developed to observe the droplet formation and ejection from the EHD inkjet nozzle by various surface tension values.
KeywordsDroplet Electrohydrodynamic Inkjet Nozzle Surface tension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Mart’inez-S’anchez, 16.522 space propulsion, in MIT OpenCourseWare (2004).Google Scholar
- I. Marginean, From chaotic cone pulsation to ion evaporation in electrosprays, Dissertation, Faculty of Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, The George Washington University, August 31 (2006).Google Scholar
- I. Hayati, A. I. Bailey and TH. F. Tadros, Investigations into the mechanisms of electrohydrodynamic spraying of liquids, I. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 117(1) May (1987).Google Scholar
- S. Eri, K. Fumio, D. Jun, M. Tatsushi and Y. Hideo, Preparation of microcapsules by electrostatic atomization, Journal of Electrostatics, 66(5–6) (2008) 312–318.Google Scholar
- Y. H. Kim and D. T. Wasan, Dynamic surface tension of ionic surfactant solution, Journal of Ind. & Eng. Chemistry, 3(2) June (1997) 119–127.Google Scholar
- M. G. Cabezas, A. Bateni, J. M. Montanero and A. W. Neumann, Determination of surface tension and contact angle from the shapes of axisymmetric fluid interfaces without use of apex coordinates, Langmuir (2006) 22.Google Scholar