Design optimization of piezoelectric energy harvester subject to tip excitation
This research proposes a new design for a cantilever-type piezoelectric energy harvester in which a free tip is excited by any rotary motion of mechanical devices. A coupled field finite element model for the harvester is constructed using ANSYS and verification study is performed. Design optimization on the shape of the harvester is done to maximize output power. The design optimization result shows excellent performance when compared to a simple rectangular cantilever or the well-known tapered cantilever. The design results are prototyped and their improved performances are experimentally attested.
KeywordsEnergy harvesting Piezoelectricity PVDF Vibration Rotary motion Tip excitation Shape optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Roundy, P. K. Wright and J. M. Rabaey, Energy scavenging for wireless sensor networks with special focus on vibrations, Kluwer Academic Publishers (2004).Google Scholar
- J. Kymissis, C. Kendall, J. Paradiso and N. Gershenfeld, Parasitic power harvesting in shoes, Proc. 2nd IEEE Int. Conf. Wearable Computing, California, USA (1998) 132–139.Google Scholar
- E. S. Leland, E. M. Lai and P. K. Wright, A self-powered wireless sensor for indoor environmental monitoring, WNCG Conference, Austin, Texas, USA (2004).Google Scholar
- B. Zheng, C. J. Chang and H. C. Gea, Topology optimization for piezoelectric energy harvesting devices, 7th World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Seoul, Korea (2007) 1677–1685.Google Scholar
- Y. Hashimoto, O. Takahashi, H. Miyazaki, T. Funasaka and M. Furuhata, Power generation method and power generator using a piezoelectric element, and electronic device using the power, United States Patent No. 5835996 (1998).Google Scholar
- C. B. Carroll, Piezoelectric rotary electrical energy generator, United States Patent No. US 6194815 B1 (2001).Google Scholar
- Measurement Specialties Inc., Piezo Film Sensors Technical Manual, (cited 19 October 2010) Available from: http://www.media.mit.edu/resenv/classes/MAS836/Readings/MSI-techman.pdf.
- MatWeb, (cited 11 March 2011) Available from: http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=a696bdcdff6f41dd98f8eec3599eaa20.
- M. L. James, G. M. Smith, J. C. Wolfold and P. W. Whaley, Vibration of Mechanical and Structural Systems, Harper Collins College Publishers, New York, USA (1994).Google Scholar