A New Genetic Algorithm-based Topology Optimization Method of Tensegrity Tori
- 3 Downloads
This study mainly focuses on a new Genetic Algorithm (GA)-based topology optimization method of tensegrity tori with the ring stiffness set as the optimization objective. To do the structural analysis of self-equilibrated tensegrity tori, a modified stiffness matrix based form-finding method is introduced. A form finding procedure is adopted to generate new tensegrity tori in constant mass with only topology and rest length given. An innovative encoding scheme in GA is proposed to represent tensegrity tori with new sets of topology, prestress, and configuration. Numerical examples demonstrate that the proposed method is efficient in the topology optimization of tensegrity tori with high ring stiffness.
Keywordstopology optimization tensegrity tori form-finding genetic algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goldberg, D. E. (1989). “Genetic algorithms in search.” Optimization and Machine Learning, Vol. xiii, No. 7, pp. 2104–2116.Google Scholar
- Lu, J. Y., Dong, X., Zhao, X. L., Wu, X. L., and Shu, G. P. (2016). “Formfinding analysis for a new type of cable-strut tensile structures generated by semi-regular tensegrity.” Advances in Structural Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 5. DOI: 10.1177/1369433216661335.Google Scholar
- Paul, C., Lipson, H., and Cuevas, F. J. V. (2005). “Evolutionary formfinding of tensegrity structures.” Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, ACM, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 3–10.Google Scholar
- Pei, Z. and Jian, F. (2013). “Stability criterion and stiffness analysis of tensegrity structures.” China Civil Engineering Journal, No. 10, pp. 48–57.Google Scholar
- Smyth, G. K. (1997). Optimization and nonlinear equations, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, England, UK.Google Scholar