Element Search Methods for Large Deformation Finite Element Simulation in Geotechnical Fields
- 27 Downloads
This paper reports the element search methods for the interpolation procedure of a large deformation finite element simulation. Special attention is given to a virtual mesh container technique, which can boost the computational efficiency. Benchmark problems of spudcan penetration are analysed to evaluate the performances of various element search methods. The results show that the element search method with the virtual mesh container can significantly reduce the computation cost. However, if the container size is too small, interpolation failure may occur. To guarantee stable mapping, a simple approach for determining an optimised virtual mesh container size is proposed.
Keywordslarge deformation finite element element search method interpolation virtual mesh container
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ABAQUS (2012). “Analysis users’ manual (version 6.12).” Dassault Systèmes Simulia, Inc.Google Scholar
- Boroomand, B. and Zienkiewicz, O. C. (1997). “An improved REP recovery and the effectivity robustness test.” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 40, No. 17, pp. 3247–3277, DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19970915)40:17<3247::AIDNME211>3.0.CO;2-Z.MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hu, Y. and Randolph, M. F. (1998a). “A practical numerical approach for large deformation problems in soil.” International Journal for Numerical Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 327–250, DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1096-9853(199805)22:5<327::AIDNAG920>3.0.CO;2-X.CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Randolph, M. F., Wang, D., Zhou, H., Hossain, M. S., and Hu, Y. (2008). “Large deformation finite element analysis for offshore applications.” Proc. 12th Int. Conf. of IACMAG 2008, Goa, India, pp. 3307–3318.Google Scholar
- Stewart, D. P. (1992). Lateral loading of piled bridge abutments due to embankment construction, PhD Thesis, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia.Google Scholar