Comparison Between Different Finite Element Analyses of Unbonded Flexible Pipe via Different Modeling Patterns
- 6 Downloads
Three kinds of models based on the same flexible pipe with 8 layers have been separately created to investigate the effects of different modeling approaches on numerical simulation results of finite element (FE) models for unbonded flexible pipes. Then the mechanical property of the unbonded flexible pipe under tension, torsion and bending load has been analyzed and compared via ABAQUS software on the basis of three created models. The research shows that different modeling methods of flexible pipes make a great difference in the results. Especially, modeling simplifications of the carcass and pressure armor have a great impact on the accuracy of the results. Model 3, in which the carcass is simulated by spiral isotropic shell and other layers are simulated by solid element, possesses good adaptability, which has been proved by comparing the experiment data and other models. This paper can offer a reference for the FE modeling methods’ selection and mechanical property analysis of unbonded flexible pipe.
Key wordsunbonded flexible pipe numerical simulation methods finite element (FE) analysis
CLC numberP 756
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- RAMOS JR R, PESCE C P, MARTINS C A. A comparative analysis between analytical and FE-based models for flexible pipes subjected to axisymmetric loads [C]//Proceedings of the 10th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Seattle, USA: ISOPE, 2000: 80–88.Google Scholar
- DE SOUSA J R M, ELLWANGER G B, LIMA E C P, et al. Local mechanical behavior of flexible pipes subjected to installation loads [C]//Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: OMAE, 2001: 219–227.Google Scholar
- MERINO H E M, DE SOUSA J R M, MAGLUTA C, et al. Numerical and experimental study of a flexible pipe under torsion [C]//Proceedings of the 29th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. Shanghai, China: OMAE, 2010: 911–922.Google Scholar
- ZHANG W C, TUOHY J. Application of finite element modelling in the qualification of large diameter unbonded flexible risers [C]//Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. Oslo, Norway: OMAE, 2002: 425–433.Google Scholar
- BAHTUI A, BAHAI H, ALFANO G. A finite element analysis for unbonded flexible risers under axial tension [C]//Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. Estoril, Portugal: ASME, 2008: 529–534.Google Scholar