Effect of Electron Beam Irradiation on Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Polyamide Copolymer/Multiwall Carbon Nanotube Composites
- 8 Downloads
Ternary polyamide (tPA) copolymer is susceptible to degradation when it is irradiated by electron beam (e-beam), and effective methods to avoid degradation and increase gel content are highly desirable for crosslinking. Carboxylated multiwall carbon nanotube (MWCNT) is modified by hydroxyethyl acrylate (HEA) in this paper and used as a co-agent for the e-beam irradiation crosslinking of tPA copolymer. HEA modified MWCNT can function as an effective co-agent for the e-beam irradiation crosslinking of tPA copolymer to increase the gel content and improve the mechanical properties of tPA copolymer. Under an irradiation of 160 kGy, addition of 2 parts per hundred (phr) HEA modified MWCNT into tPA copolymer can increase the gel content of tPA copolymer from about 20% to 40% (mass ratio) and increase the tensile strength from 45 to 59MPa. The irradiation also affects the glass transition temperature of tPA copolymer by increasing the gel content. The results show that HEA modified MWCNT can act as a nucleating agent to increase the crystallization temperature, melting temperature and crystallinity of tPA copolymer.
Key wordselectron beam (e-beam) irradiation ternary polyamide (tPA) copolymer multiwall carbon nanotube (MWCNT) mechanical properties thermal properties
CLC numberTQ 327.9
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- VALENTINE L. Interaction of polyamides with solvents. I. A preliminary survey of the swelling of crosslinked nylon 66 in various types of solvents [J]. Journal of Polymer Science, Part A, 1957, 23(103): 297–314.Google Scholar
- BERNSTEIN B S, ODIAN G, ORBAN G, et al. Radiation crosslinking of nylon 66 and poly(vinyl alcohol) [J]. Journal of Polymer Science, Part A, 1965, 3(10): 3405–3412.Google Scholar
- GHARIB-ZAHEDI M R, TAFAZZOLI M, BÖHM M C, et al. Interfacial thermal transport and structural preferences in carbon nanotube-polyamide-6, 6 nanocomposites: How important are chemical functionalization effects? [J]. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2015, 17(22): 14502–14512.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IMAM M A, GOMES M G, MOURA E A B, et al. Effect of electron-beam irradiation on nylon-6/diamond coated CNTs composite fiber [C]//Proceedings of SAMPE Tech 2013 Conference and Exhibition. Wichita, USA: Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering, 2013: 1–10.Google Scholar
- SENGUPTA R, SABHARWAL S, TIKKU V K, et al. Effect of ambient-temperature and high-temperature electron-beam radiation on the structural, thermal, mechanical, and dynamic mechanical properties of injection-molded polyamide-6, 6 [J]. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2006, 99(4): 1633–1644.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- SENGUPTA R, TIKKU V K, SOMANI A K, et al. Electron beam irradiated polyamide-6, 6 films. I. Characterization by wide angle X-ray scattering and infrared spectroscopy [J]. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 2005, 72(5): 625–633.Google Scholar