Numeric-based XML labeling schema by generalized dynamic method
- 77 Downloads
Most efficient indeces and query techniques over XML (extensible markup language) data are based on a certain labeling scheme, which can quickly determine ancestor-descendant and parent-child relationship between two nodes. The current basic labeling schemes such as containment scheme and prefix scheme cannot avoid relabeling when XML documents are updated. After analyzing the essence of existing dynamic XML labels such as compact dynamic binary string (CDBS) and vector encoding, this paper gives a common unifying framework for the numeric-based generalized dynamic label, which can be implemented into a variety of dynamic labels according to the different user-defined value comparison methods. This paper also proposes a novel dynamic labeling scheme called radical sign label. Extensive experiments show that the radical sign label performs well for the initialization, insertion and query operations, and especially for skewed insertion where the storage cost of the radical sign label is better than that of former methods.
Key wordsdynamic labeling scheme compact dynamic binary string (CDBS) vector encoding
CLC numberTP 311.5
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zhang C, Naughton J, Dewitt D, et al. On supporting containment queries in relational database management systems [C]//Proceedings of the 27th ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data. New York, USA: ACM, 2001: 425–436.Google Scholar
- Dietz P F. Maintaining order in a linked list [C]//Proceedings of the 14th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing. New York, USA: ACM, 1982: 122–127.Google Scholar
- Tatarinov I, Viglas S D, Beyer K, et al. Storing and querying ordered XML using a relational database system [C]//Proceedings of the 28th ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data. New York, USA: ACM, 2002: 204–215.Google Scholar
- Wang W, Jiang H, Lu H, et al. PBiTree coding and efficient processing of containment join [C]//Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Data Engineering. Washington, DC, USA: IEEE, 2003: 391–402.Google Scholar
- Amagasa T, Yoshikawa M, Uemura S. A robust numbering scheme for XML documents [C]//Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Data Engineering. Washington, DC, USA: IEEE, 2003: 705–707.Google Scholar
- Xu L, Bao Z F, Ling T W. A dynamic labeling scheme using vectors [C]//Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 2007). Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2007: 130–140.Google Scholar