Major incidents that shaped aviation security
- 13 Downloads
This article is giving an overview about major incidents in civil aviation, that have shaped the aviation security policies over the course of time. It begins with industry threats and security breaches (hijackings and terrorism), the counter measures and policy decisions are giving an example of changing the aviation security. The article continues with analysing the impact of 9/11, but also the current threats to civil aviation and the international efforts in combating them. The objective is to analyse the impact of the incidents on the evolution of aviation security and find out whether industry has been reactive or proactive to aviation threat mitigation. This article concludes that the security methods are reactively implemented, and a proactive attitude of the stakeholders has to maintain it course towards the aviation security, as we believe the aviation will have an increasingly part in the future of transportation.
KeywordsAviation security Airport security Hijackings Terrorism
JEL classificationK33 K38
- Bajoria, J. (2010). The Debate Over Airport Security. Council on Foreign Relations, 2 Dec. 2010. [online] Available at: https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/debate-over-airport-security. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- Blalock G, Kadiyali V, Simon DH (2006) The impact of post 9/11 airport security measures on the demand for air travel. J Law Econ, Forthcoming Available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1007534. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- Elias, B. (2010). Airport and Aviation Security. U.S. Policy and Strategy in the Age of Global Terrorism. Taylor & Francis Group, LLCGoogle Scholar
- Enerstvedt, O. M. (2017). Aviation Security, Privacy, Data Protection and Other Human Rights: Technologies and Legal PrinciplesGoogle Scholar
- Gerstein, E. (2017). Drug Trafficking by Air: The Lessons for Aviation Security. [online] Available at: https://www.asi-mag.com/drug-trafficking-air-lessons-aviation-security/. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- Iasiello, E. (2013). Getting Ahead of the Threat: Aviation and Cyber Security. AEROSPACE AMERICA/JULY-AUGUST, 2013. [online] Available at: https://works.bepress.com/Emilio_iasiello/8/download/. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- ICAO (2017). Annex 17 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. Security. Safeguarding International Civil Aviation Against Acts of Unlawful Interference (10th edn). Available at: http://dgca.gov.in/intradgca/intra/icao%20annexes/an17_cons.pdf. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- ICAO (2018). Priorities for security, environment, privatization and gender parity raised as ICAO Secretary General addresses IATA AGM. [online] Available at: https://www.icao.int/Newsroom/Pages/Priorities-for-security-environment-privatization-and-gender-parity-raised-as-ICAO-Secretary-General-addresses-IATA-AGM.aspx. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- Kaplan, E. (2006) Targets for Terrorists: Post-9/11 Aviation Security. Council on Foreign Relations, 7 Sept. 2006. [online] Available at: www.cfr.org/backgrounder/targets-terrorists-post-911-aviation-security. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- Moore, K.C. (1991). Airport, aircraft, and airline security. Second edition. Butterworth-HeinemannGoogle Scholar
- Price, J.C. & Forrest J.S. (2016). Practical Aviation Security. Predicting and Preventing Future Threats. Third Edition. Elsevier Inc.Google Scholar
- Stewart, M.G., Mueller, J. (2018). Risk and economic assessment of U.S. aviation security for passenger-borne bomb attacks. J Transp Secur (2018), 11, 117, 136Google Scholar
- Sweet, K.M. (2008). Aviation and Airport Security. Terrorism and safety concerns. Second Edition. Taylor & Francis Group, LLCGoogle Scholar
- THE ECONOMIST (2019). Thankfully, the technology to combat rogue drones is getting better. [online] Available at: https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2019/01/24/thankfully-the-technology-to-combat-rogue-drones-is-getting-better. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.
- White House Commission on Aviation Safety and Security (1997). Final Report to President Clinton. Available at: https://fas.org/irp/threat/212fin~1.html. Accessed 25 Jan 2019.