Dosimetric changes with computed tomography automatic tube-current modulation techniques
- 122 Downloads
The study is aimed at a verification of dose changes for a computed tomography automatic tube-current modulation (ATCM) technique. For this purpose, anthropomorphic phantom and Gafchromic® XR-QA2 films were used. Radiochromic films were cut according to the shape of two thorax regions. The ATCM algorithm is based on noise index (NI) and three exam protocols with different NI were chosen, of which one was a reference. Results were compared with dose values displayed by the console and with Poisson statistics. The information obtained with radiochromic films has been normalized with respect to the NI reference value to compare dose percentage variations. Results showed that, on average, the information reported by the CT console and calculated values coincide with measurements. The study allowed verification of the dose information reported by the CT console for an ATCM technique. Although this evaluation represents an estimate, the method can be a starting point for further studies.
KeywordsNoise index Radiochromic films CTDI DLP Anthropomorphic phantom
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Statement of human rights
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed.
Statement of animal rights
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 1.International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements. ICRU report no. 87: radiation dose and image-quality assessment in computed tomography. J ICRU. 2012;12(1):1–149.Google Scholar
- 12.http://www3.gehealthcare.co.uk. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- 13.http://www.gafchromic.com. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- 17.Spampinato S (2016) Radiochromic film dosimetry in computed tomography. Unpublished thesis, Specialization School in Medical Physics, Università di Catania, Catania, Italy.Google Scholar
- 19.Tomic N, Quintero C, Whiting BR, Aldelaijan S, Bekerat H, Liang L, DeBlois F, Seuntjens J, Devic S. Characterization of calibration curves and energy dependence GafChromic™ XR-QA2 model based radiochromic film dosimetry system. Med Phys. 2014;41(6):062105-1–9.Google Scholar
- 24.http://www.rsdphantoms.com/rt_art.htm. Accessed 6 Apr 2018.
- 27.American Association of Physicists in Medicine (2011) Size-specific dose estimates in pediatric and adult body CT examinations. AAPM report no. 204. ISBN: 978-1-936366-08-8.Google Scholar
- 28.American Association of Physicists in Medicine (2014) Use of water equivalent diameter for calculating patient size and size-specific dose estimates (SSDE) in CT. AAPM report no. 220. ISBN: 978-1-936366-39-2.Google Scholar