Application of an artificial neural network to the computer-aided differentiation of focal liver disease in MR imaging
The differentiation of focal liver lesions in magnetic resonance (MR) imaging is primarily based on the intensity and homogeneity of lesions with different imaging sequences. However, these imaging findings are falsely interpreted in some patients because of the complexities involved. Our aim is to establish a computer-aided diagnosis system named LiverANN for classifying the pathologies of focal liver lesions into five categories using the artificial neural network (ANN) technique. On each MR image, a region of interest (ROI) in the focal liver lesion was delineated by a radiologist. The intensity and homogeneity within the ROI were calculated automatically, producing numerical data that were analyzed by feeding them into the LiverANN as inputs. Outputs were the following five pathologic categories of hepatic disease: hepatic cyst, hepatocellular carcinoma, dysplasia in cirrhosis, cavernous hemangioma, and metastasis. Of the 320 MR images obtained from 80 patients (four images per patient) with liver lesions, our LiverANN classified 50 cases of a training set into five types of liver lesions with a training accuracy of 100% and 30 test cases with a testing accuracy of 93%. The experiment demonstrated that our LiverANN, which functions as a computer-aided differentiation tool, can provide radiologists with a second opinion during the radiologic diagnostic procedure.
KeywordsMR imaging Focal liver disease Differentiation Artificial neural network Computer-aided diagnosis (CAD)
- 3.Garra B, Insana M, Shawker T, Russell M. Quantitative estimation of liver attenuation and echogenicity: normal state versus diffuse liver disease. Radiology. 1994;14:1099–108.Google Scholar
- 11.Tombropoulos R, Shiffman S, Davidson C. A decision aid for diagnosis of liver lesions on MRI. Proc Annu Symp Comput Appl Med Care. 1993;439–43.Google Scholar
- 29.Seki K, Fujita H, Hirako K, Hara T, Ando T. Detection of microcalcifications on mammograms using neural networks. Med Imag Tech. 1997;15:639–51.Google Scholar
- 30.Kako N, Zhang X, Kanematsu M. Study of computer-aided diagnosis on MR imaging. Radiology. 2002;255(P):749. (abstract).Google Scholar
- 31.Kako N, Zhang X, Li W. Artificial neural network method for differentiation of focal liver disease in MR imaging. Radiology. 2002;255(P):646.Google Scholar