Extrapolation multiscale multigrid method for solving 2D Poisson equation with sixth order compact scheme
- 86 Downloads
We present an extrapolation multiscale multigrid (EMMG) algorithm to solve the large linear systems arising from a sixth order compact discretization of the two dimensional Poisson equation, based on multigrid method and an extrapolation operator. With the help of Taylor expansion and interpolation theory, we develop three mid-point extrapolation formulas and combine it with the classical Richardson extrapolation strategy to design an extrapolation operator. Applying this proposed extrapolation operator for the sixth order difference solutions on the finest and finer grids, which have been computed by V-cycle multigrid method, we can construct an eighth order accurate extrapolation solution on the entire finest grid directly and efficiently. Moreover, we discuss the error of EMMG method in theoretically, and conduct some numerical experiments on square or reentrant domains, to verify that our EMMG algorithm can achieve eighth order convergence and keep less cost simultaneously.
KeywordsExtrapolation Multiscale multigrid method Sixth order compact discretization Poisson equation
Mathematics Subject Classification65N06 65N55
The authors would like to thank the editor and anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments and suggestions, which were helpful in improving the paper.
- 9.Cheney, W., Kincard, D.: Numerical Mathematics and Computing, 4th edn. Brooks/Cole Publishing, Pacific Grove (1999)Google Scholar
- 30.Marchuk, G.I., Shaidurov, V.V.: Difference Methods and Their Extrapolations, vol. 5, no. pp. 195–196. Springer, Berlin (1983)Google Scholar
- 33.Pan, K.J., Tang, J.T., et al.: Extrapolation cascadic multigrid method for 2.5D direct current resistivity modeling (in Chinese). Chin. J. Geophys. 55, 2769–2778 (2012)Google Scholar
- 36.Richardson, L.F.: The approximate solution of physical problems involving differential equations using finite differences, with an application to the stress in a masonry dam. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. A. 210, 307–357 (1910)Google Scholar
- 44.Trottenberg, U., Oosterlee, C.W.: A. Schller, Multigrid. Academic Press, London (2001)Google Scholar