Stability analysis and optimal control of a hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD) model
- 668 Downloads
In this paper, we propose a system of ordinary differential equations to model the hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD). We derive the expression of the basic reproduction number Open image in new window . When Open image in new window , the system only has the disease free equilibrium, which is globally asymptotically stable; otherwise, the system is persistent. By sensitivity analysis, we identify the control parameters. Then we formulate an optimal control problem to find the optimal control strategy. These results are applied to the spread of HFMD in Mainland China. The basic reproduction number tells us that it is outbreak in China.
KeywordsHand-foot-mouth disease Optimal control Stability Persistence Sensitivity analysis Least-squares approach
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)34D20 92D30 49J15
The authors would like to thank the anonymous referees for their constructive comments, which greatly improve the presentation of the paper. This work was done when Yang was a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Mathematics, Wilfrid Laurier University. He would like to thank the Department for the hospitality. Research is supported partially by the NSF of China (11071283), the Sciences Foundation of Shanxi (2009011005-3), the Young Sciences Foundation of Shanxi (2011021001-1), the Foundation of University (YQ-2011045, JY-2011036), the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Early Researcher Award Program of Ontario, the One Hundred Talents Project of Shanxi Province, and the Program of Key Disciplines in Shanxi Province (20111028).
- 2.Chinese Ministry of Health: http://www.moh.gov.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/zwgkzt/pyq/index.htm
- 3.Chuo, F., Tiing, S., Labadin, J.: A simple deterministic model for the spread of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) in Sarawak. In: 2008 Second Asia International Conference on Modelling and Simulation, pp. 947–952 Google Scholar
- 14.Leong, P.F., Labadin, J., Rahman, S.B.A., Juan, S.F.S.: Quantifying the relationship between the climate and hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD) incidences. In: 4th International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Applied Optimization (ICMSAO), pp. 1–5 (2011) Google Scholar
- 19.The People’s Republic of China Yearbook 2009, English edn. China Yearbook Press, Beijing (2010) Google Scholar
- 20.The People’s Republic of China Yearbook 2010, English edn. China Yearbook Press, Beijing (2011) Google Scholar
- 22.Urashima, M., Shindo, N., Okabe, N.: Seasonal models of herpangina and hand-foot-mouth disease to simulate annual fluctuations in urban warming in Tokyo. Jpn. J. Infect. Dis. 56, 48–53 (2003) Google Scholar
- 26.Zhu, Q., Hao, Y.T., Ma, J.Q., Yu, S.C., Wang, Y.: Surveillance of hand, foot, and mouth disease in Mainland China (2008–2009). Biomed. Environ. Sci. 24, 349–356 (2011) Google Scholar