Investigation of the Cross-National Equivalence of a Measurement of Early Child Development
- 337 Downloads
The Early Development Instrument (EDI) is a measure of children’s developmental health at school entry in five domains, developed in Canada. A shorter, 48-item version of the EDI covering the same domains, created based on Canadian population data was used. The present study examined the psychometric properties of the domains of the 48-item EDI and the invariance of the measurement models of the domains of the 48-item EDI by sex and across the two South Asian countries, the Philippines and Indonesia. Data for 946, 3 to 5-year-olds in the Philippines, and for 3244, four-year-olds in Indonesia were used. The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) subscales were used for purposes of testing concurrent validity. The internal consistencies of the domains of the EDI except for Physical Health and Wellbeing were acceptable. Concurrent validity of the EDI domains with the SDQ subscales was acceptable and associations were in the expected directions. Modifications to the measurement models for the domains were made, where necessary, to allow for cross-loading items across the domains and to improve fit indices without over-fitting. Multiple group analysis using categorical confirmatory factor analysis within the Structural Equation Modeling framework showed that the models for the social competence and emotional maturity domains fit very well across sex and across the two countries. The findings are discussed in the context of requirements and conditions for the validation in modification and application of measures in international contexts.
KeywordsEarly child development (ECD) Cross-national equivalence Early Development Instrument (EDI)
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991). Integrative guide for the 1991 CBCL/4-18, YSR, and TRF profiles. Burlington: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry.Google Scholar
- Byrne, B. M. (2011). Structural equation modeling with Mplus: Basic concepts, applications, and programming. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- De Klerk, G. (2008). Cross-cultural testing. In M. Born, C. D. Foxcroft, & R. Butter (Eds.), Online Readings in Testing and Assessment. International Test Commission. Retrieved from http://www.intestcom.org/publications/orta/cross+cultural+testing.php
- International Test Commission (2010). International test commission guidelines for translating and adapting tests. Retrieved 15/01/2012, from http://www.intestcom.org/upload/sitefiles/40.pdf.
- Janus, M. (2006). Measuring community early child development. Canadian Association of Principals Journal, 14(3), 14–16.Google Scholar
- Janus, M. (2009). Steps in adapting and implementing the EDI. Retrieved 22/04/2011, from http://www.councilecd.ca/internationaledi/05.%20Steps%20in%20Adapting%20and%20Implementing%20the%20EDI.pdf.
- Janus, M., & Duku, E. (2005). Development of the short Early Development Instrument (S-EDI). Report for the World Bank, JuneGoogle Scholar
- Janus, M., & Gaskin, A. (2014). School readiness. In A. C. Michalos (Ed.), Encyclopedia of quality of life research. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Janus, M., Brinkman, S., Duku, E., Hertzman, C., Santos, R., & Sayers, M. (2007). The Early Development Instrument: A population-based measure for communities. A handbook on development, properties and use. Hamilton: Offord Centre for Child Studies.Google Scholar
- Janus, M., Brinkman, S., & Duku, E. (2008). Pilot test results: Child development outcome instruments to be included in UNICEF’s MICS Household Survey, Final Report for UNICEF.Google Scholar
- Muthén, B.,& Asparouhov, T. (2002). Latent variable analysis with categorical outcomes: Multiple-group and growth modeling in Mplus. Mplus Web Notes: No. 4. Retrieved 22/04/2011, from www.statmodel.com.
- Muthén, L. K., & Muthén, B. (2008a). Mplus 5.1 for windows. Los Angeles: Muthén & Muthén.Google Scholar
- Muthén, L. K., & Muthén, B. (2008b). Mplus user’s guide. Los Angeles: Author.Google Scholar
- Paulhus, D. L. (1991). Measurement and control of response biases. In J. P. Robinson, P. R. Shaver, & L. S. Wrightsman (Eds.), Measures of personality and social psychological attitudes. San Diego, CA: Academic.Google Scholar
- Pradhan, M., Brinkman, S., Beatty, A., Satriawan, E., Maika, A., deRee, J., et al. (2013). Study protocol for the evaluation of a community based early childhood education and development program in Indonesia: a pragmatic cluster randomized controlled trial with supplementary matched control group. Trials, 14(1), 259.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization (2013). Nurturing human capital along the life course: Investing in early child development. Meeting Report 10–11 January 2013, WHO: Geneva, Switzerland.Google Scholar