Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis as a harbinger of aggressive lymphoma: a case series
Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) is a rare hyperinflammatory syndrome, which can manifest either secondary to a variety of underlying causes, or due to a primary genetic defect. Malignancy is the most common underlying disease in adults with HLH, with lymphomas being the most common malignancy. Lymphoma-associated hemophagocytic syndrome (LAHS) typically follows a rapidly progressive clinical course and is associated with poor prognosis. We herein present four patients with HLH associated with aggressive lymphoma. At initial presentation, the underlying etiology of the HLH was unclear. Two patients were eventually diagnosed with anaplastic large cell lymphoma, while the other two had diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Two of the patients experienced rapid clinical deterioration, one at diagnosis and the other at relapse, and both died prior to diagnosis of lymphoma despite HLH-directed therapy. These cases highlight the need for intensive management in adults with HLH without a clear etiology, especially in cases when lymphoma-associated HLH is suspected. We describe the current pitfalls in diagnosis and treatment of LAHS and discuss possible ways to improve patient management.
KeywordsHemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis T cell lymphoma B cell lymphoma Malignancy
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 7.Henter JI, Samuelsson-Horne A, Arico M, Egeler RM, Elinder G, Filipovich AH, Gadner H, Imashuku S, Komp D, Ladisch S, Webb D, Janka G, Histocyte S. Treatment of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis with HLH-94 immunochemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation. Blood. 2002;100:2367–73.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Veerakul G, Sanpakit K, Tanphaichitr VS, Mahasandana C, Jirarattanasopa N. Secondary hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in children: an analysis of etiology and outcome. J Med Assoc Thai. 2002;85(Suppl 2):530–41.Google Scholar
- 10.Lehmberg K, Nichols KE, Henter JI, Girschikofsky M, Greenwood T, Jordan M, Kumar A, Minkov M, La Rosee P, Weitzman S. Study Group on Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis Subtypes of the Histiocyte S: Consensus recommendations for the diagnosis and management of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis associated with malignancies. Haematologica. 2015;100:997–1004.Google Scholar
- 12.Lehmberg K, Sprekels B, Nichols KE, Woessmann W, Muller I, Suttorp M, Bernig T, Beutel K, Bode SF, Kentouche K, Kolb R, Langler A, Minkov M, Schilling FH, Schmid I, Vieth S, Ehl S, Zur Stadt U, Janka GE. Malignancy-associated haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in children and adolescents. Br J Haematol. 2015;170:539–49.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Takahashi N, Nakahachi A. Clinicopathological characteristics of adult patients with lymphoma-associated hemophagocytic syndrome in Japan. Rinsho Ketsueki. 1999;40:96–8.Google Scholar
- 16.Tamamyan GN, Kantarjian HM, Ning J, Jain P, Sasaki K, McClain KL, Allen CE, Pierce SA, Cortes JE, Ravandi F, Konopleva MY, Garcia-Manero G, Benton CB, Chihara D, Rytting ME, Wang S, Abdelall W, Konoplev SN, Daver NG. Malignancy-associated hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis in adults: relation to hemophagocytosis, characteristics, and outcomes. Cancer. 2016;122:2857–66.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Kim JE, Kim CW, Park SH, Chi JG. Hemophagocytic syndrome associated with occult B-cell lymphoma: an autopsy case. J Korean Med Sci. 1998;13:77–80.Google Scholar
- 20.Chang Y, Cui M, Fu X, Han L, Zhang L, Li L, Li X, Sun Z, Wu J, Zhang X, Li Z, Nan F, Yan J, Sheng G, Zhang M. Lymphoma associated hemophagocytic syndrome: A single-center retrospective study. Oncol Lett. 2018;16:1275–84.Google Scholar
- 25.Jordan M: A novel targeted approach to the treatment of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) with an anti-interferon gamma (IFNγ) monoclonal antibody (mAb), NI-0501: first results from a Pilot Phase 2 study in children with primary HLH. Blood. 2015;126: LBA-3.Google Scholar
- 29.Tilly H, Gomes da Silva M, Vitolo U, Jack A, Meignan M, Lopez-Guillermo A, Walewski J, Andre M, Johnson PW, Pfreundschuh M, Ladetto M, Committee EG. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL): ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol. 2015;26(Suppl 5):v116–125.CrossRefGoogle Scholar