Cell dynamics during differentiation therapy with all-trans retinoic acid in acute promyelocytic leukemia
- 154 Downloads
The introduction of all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA) has made acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) a curable disease; however, early death prior to the completion of treatment remains a problem. In quantitative evaluation of response to ATRA treatment, lymphocytes must be excluded as they do not originally have t(15;17). We categorized peripheral blood leukocytes by nuclear morphology into polymorphonuclear cells (PMNs) comprising segmented granulocytes, and non-polymorphonuclear cells (NPMs) which includes lymphocytes, monocytes, band cells, and immature myeloid cells. We consecutively evaluated the ratio of t(15;17)-positive cells using fluorescence in situ hybridization in eight newly diagnosed patients with APL. We confirmed the differentiation of APL cells until cytogenetic complete remission; the association of a decrease of t(15;17)-positive NPMs and an increase of t(15;17)-positive PMNs was followed by a decrease of t(15;17)-positive PMNs. The kinetic pattern of t(15;17)-positive NPMs and PMNs was consistent in most patients, irrespective of leukocyte counts at diagnosis, additional chromosomal changes, and ATRA with or without chemotherapies. Kinetic analysis enables us to evaluate treatment response and the recovery of normal hematopoiesis in individuals.
KeywordsFluorescence in situ hybridization t(15;17) PML–RARA Early death
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
I. M. is a consultant for SRL, Inc.
- 3.Arber DA, Brunning RD, Le Beau MM, Falini B, Vardiman JW, Porvit A, et al. Acute myeloid leukaemia with recurrent genetic abnormalities. In: Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, editors. WHO classification of tumors of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. 4th ed. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2017. pp. 130–49.Google Scholar
- 7.Mandelli F, Latagliata R, Avvisati G, Fazi P, Rodeghiero F, Leoni F, et al. Treatment of elderly patients (> or = 60 years) with newly diagnosed acute promyelocytic leukemia. Results of the Italian multicenter group GIMEMA with ATRA and idarubicin (AIDA) protocols. Leukemia. 2003;17:1085–90.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Asou N, Kishimoto Y, Kiyoi H, Okada M, Kawai Y, Tsuzuki M, et al. A randomized study with or without intensified maintenance chemotherapy in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia who have become negative for PML-RARalpha transcript after consolidation therapy: the Japan Adult Leukemia Study Group (JALSG) APL97 study. Blood. 2007;110:59–66.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.McGowan-Jordan J, Simons A, Schmid M. International system for human cytogenomic nomenclature. Basel: Kargener; 2016.Google Scholar
- 23.Tallman MS, Lo-Coco F, Kwaan HC, Sanz MA, Gore SD. Early death in patients with acute promyelocytic leukemia. Proceedings from a live roundtable at the 2010 American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting, December 4–7, 2010, Orlando, Florida. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 2011;9: 1–16.Google Scholar