Rapid and Direct Microextraction of Pesticide Residues from Rice and Vegetable Samples by Supramolecular Solvent in Combination with Chemometrical Data Processing
- 51 Downloads
In this work, a rapid, simple, and environmentally friendly method has been proposed for direct supramolecular microextraction of four organophosphate insecticides (ethion, phosalone, diazinon, chlorpyrifos) and an isothiazolidine acaricide (hexythiazox) in agricultural product samples prior to their determination by high-performance liquid chromatography-ultraviolet spectroscopy. These five target pesticides have been selected as models in combination with chemometrical optimization processing due to their high consumption in rice, cucumber, and tomato samples for pest control. Method is based on the extraction of pesticide residues from homogenized food sample in an aqueous media containing some tetrahydrofuran (THF) and decanoic acid (DeA). Effects of the experimental parameters, including THF volume, DeA content, salt concentration (as a measure of salting-out effect), and pH on extraction recoveries (ERs) and enrichment factors (EFs) were investigated and, then, the significant variables were optimized using central composite design (CCD) as chemometrical processing. At optimum conditions, this method has a linear response over the ranges of 0.10 to 1500 μg kg−1 for target analytes. Limits of detection (LOD) of this method were found to be in the range of 0.05 to 0.20 μg kg−1. Also, relative standard deviation (RSD) of the method was in the range of 3.45 to 12.27% and the enrichment factors ranged from 102- to 178-fold. The method was applied successfully for analysis of the pesticides in agricultural product samples.
KeywordsCentral composite design Direct supramolecular microextraction High-performance liquid chromatography-ultraviolet spectroscopy Pesticide residue Rice and vegetable samples
The authors thank the Genetic and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute of Tabarestan, Sari University of Agricultural, Iran for the support provided.
This work was supported by the Genetic and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute of Tabarestan Foundation (Gabit-T-005).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Setare Gorji declares that she has no conflict of interest. Pourya Biparva declares that he has no conflict of interest. Morteza Bahram declares that he has no conflict of interest. Ghorbanali Nematzadeh declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Publication has been approved by all individual participants.
- Al-Degs YS, Al-Ghouti MA, El-Sheikh AH (2009) Simultaneous determination of pesticides at trace levels in water using multiwalled carbon nanotubes as solid-phase extractant and multivariate calibration. J Hazard Mater 169:128–135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.03.065 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Amiri Pebdani A, Khodadoust S, Toori MA, Zarezade V, Talebianpoor MSh (2016) Application of the optimized modified stir bar with ZnS nanoparticles loaded on activated carbon for preconcentration of carbofuran and propoxur insecticides in water samples and their HPLC determination. RSC Advances 6:36238. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6RA02318E CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Asperger A, Efer J, Koal T, Engewald W (2006) Trace determination of priority pesticides in water by means of high-speed on-line solid-phase extraction–liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry using turbulent-flow chromatography columns for enrichment and a short monolithic column for fast liquid chromatographic separation. J Chromatogr A 960:109–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(01)01392-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Barriada-Pereira M, Concha-Grana E, González-Castro MJ, Muniategui-Lorenzo S, López-Mahía P, Prada-Rodríguez D (2003) Microwave-assisted extraction versus Soxhlet extraction in the analysis of 21 organochlorine pesticides in plants. J Chromatogr A 1008:115–122. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(03)01061-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Britoa NM, Navickienea S, Polese L, Jardim EFG, Abakerli RB, Ribeiro ML (2002) Determination of pesticide residues in coconut water by liquid–liquid extraction and gas chromatography with electron-capture plus thermionic specific detection and solid-phase extraction and high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr A 957:201–209. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(02)00351-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Buxton R (2007) The Quality Engineering Handbook, and The Handbook of Quality Management,. http://www.statease.com/soft_ftp.html
- Carabias-Mart’ınez R, Rodr’ıguez-Gonzalo E, Amigo-Morán MJ, Hernández-Méndez J (1992) Sensitive method for the determination of organophosphorus pesticides in fruits and surface waters by high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr A 607:37–45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(92)87052-A CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cortes JM, Sanchez R, Diaz-Plaza EM, Villen J, Vazquez A (2006) Large volume GC injection for the analysis of organophosphorus pesticides in vegetables using the through oven transfer adsorption desorption (TOTAD) interface. J Agric Food Chem 54:1997–2002. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0524675 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Denis H, Stephen C (2004) Pesticide residues in food and drinking water: human exposure and risks, ISBN:978-0-470-09160-9,378,http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470091606.html. https://doi.org/10.1002/0470091614 Google Scholar
- Hashi S, Lin L, Min, Yuki H, Yuanyuan S, Jin-Ming L (2005) Simultaneous determination of carbamate and organophosphorus pesticides in fruits and vegetables by liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1097:183–187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2005.10.022 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Khodadoust S, Ghaedi M, Hadjmohammadi MR (2013) Dispersive nano solid material-ultrasound assisted microextraction as a novel method for extraction and determination of bendiocarb and promecarb: response surface methodology. Talanta 116:637–646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2013.07.013 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Norman KNT, Panton SHW (2001) Supercritical fluid extraction and quantitative determination of organophosphorus pesticide residues in wheat and maize using gas chromatography with flame photometric and mass spectrometric detection. J Chromatogr A 907:247–255. https://doi.org/10.1016/9673S0021-(00)01081-5
- Pirsaheb M, Fattahi N, Shamsipur M (2013) Determination of organophosphorous pesticides in summer crops using ultrasound-assisted solvent extraction followed by dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction based on the solidification of floating organic drop. Food Control 34:378–385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.05.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ritter L, Goushleff NCI, Arbuckle T, Cole D, Donald M, Raizenne (2006) Addressing the linkage between exposure to pesticides and human health effects—research trends and priorities for research. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev 9:441–456. https://doi.org/10.1080/10937400600755895 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sabik H, Jeannot R (1998) Determination of organonitrogen pesticides in large volumes of surface water by liquid–liquid and solid-phase extraction using gas chromatography with nitrogen–phosphorus detection and liquid chromatography with atmospheric pressure chemical ionization mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 818:197–207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(98)00555-X CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sampedro MC, Martin O, Lopez de Armentia C, Goicolea MA, Rodrıguez E, Gómez de Balugera Z (2000) Solid-phase microextraction for the determination of systemic and non-volatile pesticides in river water using gas chromatography with nitrogen–phosphorous and electron-capture detection. J Chromatogr A 893:347–358. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(00)00746-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Talebianpoor MSh, Khodadoust S, Mousavi A, Mahmoudi R, Nikbakht J, Mohammadi J (2017) Preconcentration of carbamate insecticides in water samples by using modified stir bar with ZnS nanoparticles loaded on activated carbon and their HPLC determination: Response surface methodology. Microchem J 130:64–70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2016.08.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tsoutsi C, Konstantinou I, Hela D, Albanis T (2006) Screening method for organophosphorus insecticides and their metabolites in olive oil samples based on headspace solid-phase microextraction coupled with gas chromatography. Anal Chim Acta 573:216–222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2006.04.075 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yu X, Yang H (2017) Pyrethroid residue determination in organic and conventional vegetables using liquid-solid extraction coupled with magnetic solid phase extraction based on polystyrene-coated magnetic nanoparticles. Food Chem 217:303–310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.08.115 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar