A Novel and Validated Chemical-Enzymatic Strontium Fractionation Method for Wheat Flour from Celestite Mining Area: the First Approach for Sequential Fractionation
- 38 Downloads
In this study, a sequential Sr fractionation scheme was developed for wheat flour matrix. The lipid, water-soluble, and starch fractions were separated successfully. Total and fractionated Sr was determined by ICP-MS. The limits of detection and quantification of the technique were 4.4 and 17.7 μg L−1, respectively. The distribution of Sr was varied between 21.2–31.3%, 28.1–51.2%, and 22.9–49.3% in water-soluble, starch, and residue fractions, respectively. The lipid-bounded strontium was only determined for sample 3 as 0.42 mg kg−1. Additionally, water-soluble content was divided into sub-fractions. The accuracy of the experimental procedure was tested with NIST-8436 durum wheat flour. The certified and sum of the fractionated Sr concentrations were in good agreement with a recovery of 105.0% of the stated concentration. Moreover, simulated in vitro digestion methods were also applied to find out the bioaccessible Sr and to investigate the statistical correlation between fractions and gastrointestinal digests.
KeywordsStrontium Fractionation analysis Wheat flour Bioavailability ICP-MS
The authors gratefully acknowledge the office of Scientific Research Projects of Cumhuriyet University for financial support. The authors also thank Bursa Test and Analysis Laboratory (BUTAL) of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) for instrument and technical assistance.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Sema Bağdat declares that she has no conflict of interest. Mehmet Hikmet Özkan declares that he has no conflict of interest. Feyzullah Tokay declares that he has no conflict of interest. Şeref Güçer declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Araujo RGO, Oleszczuk N, Rampazzo RT, Costa PA, Silva MM, Vale MGR, Welz B, Ferreira SLC (2008) Comparison of direct solid sampling and slurry sampling for the determination of cadmium in wheat flour by electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry. Talanta 77:400–406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2008.06.047 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Caprita R, Caprita A (2013) Methodology for extraction of soluble non-starch polysaccharides and viscosity determination of aqueous extracts from wheat and barley. In: Kim HK, Ao SI, Rieger BB (eds) IAENG transactions on engineering technologies. Springer, Dordrecht, pp 275–284CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dorsey AF, Fransen ME, Diamond GL, Amata RJ (2004) Toxicological profile for strontium, agency for toxic substances and disease Registry. AtlantaGoogle Scholar
- Gonzalez-Thuillier I, Salt L, Chope G, Penson S, Skeggs P, Tosi P, Powers SJ, Ward JL, Wilde P, Shewry PR, Haslam RP (2015) Distribution of lipids in the grain of wheat (cv. Hereward) determined by lipidomic analysis of milling and pearling fractions. J Agric Food Chem 63:10705–10716. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b05289 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Iskander FY, Morad MM, Klein DE, Bauer TL (1987) Determination of protein and 11 elements in six milling fractions of two wheat varieties. Cereal Chem 64:285–287Google Scholar
- Peruchi LC, Nunes LC, Carvalho GGA, Guerra MBB, Almeida E, Rufini IA, Santos D Jr, Krug FJ (2014) Determination of inorganic nutrients in wheat flour by laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy and energy dispersive X-ray fluorescence spectrometry. Spectrochim Acta B 100:129–136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sab.2014.08.025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Santos LMG, Araujo RGO, Welz B, Jacob SC, Vale MGR, Becker-Ross H (2009) Simultaneous determination of Cd and Fe in grain products using direct solid sampling and high-resolution continuum source electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry. Talanta 78:577–583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2008.12.006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Templeton DM, Ariese F, Cornelis R, Danielsson L, Muntau H, Leeuwen HPV, Lobinski R (2000) Guidelines for terms related to chemical speciation and fractionation of elements. Definitions, structural aspects, and methodological approaches. Pure Appl Chem 72:1453–1470. https://doi.org/10.1351/pac200072081453 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Welna M, Klimpel M, Zyrnicki W (2008) Investigation of major and trace elements and their distributions between lipid and non-lipid fractions in Brazil nuts by inductively coupled plasma atomic optical spectrometry. Food Chem 111:1012–1015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.04.067 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yacoubi N, Immerseel FV, Ducatelle R, Rhayat L, Bonnin E, Saulnier L (2016) Water-soluble fractions obtained by enzymatic treatment of wheat grains promote short chain fatty acids production by broiler cecal microbiota. Anim Feed Sci Technol 218:110–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2016.05.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar