Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes as Effective Sorbents for Rapid Analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Edible Oils Using Dispersive Solid-Phase Extraction (d-SPE) and Gas Chromatography—Tandem Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS/MS)
- 195 Downloads
A method was developed for the analysis of four polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons regulated in the European Union, namely, benzo[a]anthracene, chrysene, benzo[b]fluoranthene, and benzo[a]pyrene in edible oils. Multi-walled carbon nanotubes were applied for dispersive solid-phase extraction of analytes from the oils after dilution with n-hexane followed by elution of analytes with toluene under reflux conditions. Gas chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry was used for quantitative determination of the analytes. The efficiency of four nanotube-based sorbents was evaluated. The performance characteristics of the method permitted reliable measurement of four regulated polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in oil samples according to the criteria stated in the Commission Regulation No. 836/2011 and considering the maximum levels (MLs) stated in the Commission Regulation (EU) No. 835/2011. The concentrations of the selected analytes in real-world samples determined by our developed method and by previously validated gel permeation chromatography method were found to be in a good agreement.
KeywordsMulti-walled carbon nanotubes Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons Dispersive solid-phase extraction Edible oils GC-MS/MS
This research was co-financed by ERDF (85%) and state budget (7.5%) under the project No.22.214.171.124/16/A/258.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Dzintars Zacs declares that he has no conflicts of interest. Irina Rozentale declares that she has no conflicts of interest. Ingars Reinholds declares that he has no conflicts of interest. Vadims Bartkevics declares that he has no conflicts of interest.
This study does not contain any data obtained from human participants or animals by any of the authors.
- Commission of the European Communities (2011a) Commission Regulation (EU) No 835/2011 of 19 August 2011 amending Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 as regards maximum levels for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in foodstuffs. OJEU L 215:4–8Google Scholar
- Commission of the European Communities (2011b) Commission Regulation (EU) No. 836/2011 of 19 August 2011 amending Regulation (EC) No 333/2007 laying down the methods of sampling and analysis for the official control of the levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, inorganic tin, 3-MCPD and benzo(a)pyrene in foodstuffs. OJEU L 215:9–16Google Scholar
- Commission of the European Communities (2015) Commission Regulation (EU) No 2015/1933 of 27 October 2015 amending Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 as regards maximum levels for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in cocoa fibre, banana chips, food supplements, dried herbs and dried spices. OJEU L 282:11–13Google Scholar
- Commission of the European Communities (2016) Commission Regulation (EU) No 2016/582 of 15 April 2016 amending Regulation (EC) No 333/2007 as regards the analysis of inorganic arsenic, lead and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and certain performance criteria for analysis. OJEU L 101:3–6Google Scholar
- Fernandes AR, Rose M, Mortimer D, Carr M, Panton S, Smith F (2011) Mixed brominated/chlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, dibenzofurans and biphenyls: simultaneous congener-selective determination in food. J Chromatogr A 1218:9279–9287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2011.10.058 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ma J, Xiao R, Li J, Yu J, Zhang Y, Chen L (2010) Determination of 16 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in environmental water samples by solid-phase extraction using multi-walled carbon nanotubes as adsorbent coupled with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1217:5462–5469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2010.06.060 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Menezes HC, de Barcelos SM, Macedo DF, Purceno AD, Machado BF, Teixeira AP, Lago RM, Serp P, Cardeal ZL (2015) Magnetic N-doped carbon nanotubes: a versatile and efficient material for the determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in environmental water samples. Anal Chim Acta 873:51–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2015.02.063 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Moazzen M, Ahmadkhaniha R, Eshaghi Gorji M, Yunesian M, Rastkari N (2013) Magnetic solid-phase extraction based on magnetic multi-walled carbon nanotubes for the determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in grilled meat samples. Talanta 115:957–965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2013.07.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Paszkiewicz M, Caban M, Bielicka-Gieldon A, Stepnowski P (2017) Optimization of a procedure for the simultaneous extraction of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and metal ions by functionalized and non-functionalized carbon nanotubes as effective sorbents. Talanta 165:405–411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2016.10.049 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wenzl T, Haedrich J, Schaechtele A, Robouch P, Stroka J (2016) Guidance document on the estimation of LOD and LOQ for measurements in the field of contaminants in feed and food; EUR 28099. Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg ISBN 978-92-79-61768-3Google Scholar
- Wu H, Wang X, Liu B, Lu J, Du B, Zhang L, Ji J, Yue Q, Han B (2010) Flow injection solid-phase extraction using multi-walled carbon nanotubes packed micro-column for the determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in water by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1217:2911–2917. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2010.02.040 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zacs D, Rjabova J, Viksna A, Bartkevics V (2015) Method development for the simultaneous determination of polybrominated, polychlorinated, mixed polybrominated/chlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans, polychlorinated biphenyls and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in fish. Chemosphere 118:72–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2014.06.032 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhao Q, Wei F, Luo Y-B, Ding J, Xiao N, Feng Y-Q (2011) Rapid magnetic solid-phase extraction based on magnetic multiwalled carbon nanotubes for the determination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in edible oils. J Agric Food Chem 59:12794–12800. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf203973s CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar