Determination of Enrofloxacin in Milk Samples Using Silver Nanoparticle Enhanced Terbium-Sensitized Fluorescence Method
- 292 Downloads
Terbium-sensitized fluorescence is one of the simple and sensitive methods for quantification of drugs in biological and food samples. Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) can enhance the intensity of terbium-sensitized fluorescence and provide a more sensitive method. Enrofloxacin (ENR) is one of the common antibiotics, and the determination of its residue in animal products is recommended because of its problems for human health. Various parameters affecting the fluorescence intensity were optimized using response surface methodology. Then, the optimized parameters were applied to the validation of method for ENR quantification in milk samples. The linearity of the method was from 0.050 to 0.60 mg/L, and the limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) of the method were 0.021 to 0.069 mg/L, respectively. The accuracy, precision, and selectivity studies of the developed method give reasonable results. These data showed that the established analysis approach is a simple and sensitive technique for monitoring of ENR in milk samples.
KeywordsEnrofloxacin Experimental design Silver nanoparticles Terbium-sensitized Fluorescence
This study was funded by the Vice Chancellor for Research of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran, for a partial financial support, and it is a part of S. Ershadi’s Pharm.D thesis (No. 3899) registered at Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Saba Ershadi declares that he has no conflict of interest. Abolghasem Jouyban declares that he has no conflict of interest. Ali Shayanfar declares that he has no conflict of interest.
- Abràmoff MD, Magalhães PJ, Ram SJ (2004) Image processing with ImageJ. Biophot Int 11:36–42Google Scholar
- EMEA (2002) Committee for veterinary medical products/the European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products, enrofloxacin (extension to all food producing species)—summary report, EMEA/MRL/820/02-FINALGoogle Scholar
- Khan MN, Shah J, Jan MR, Lee SH (2013) A validated spectrofluorimetric method for the determination of citalopram in bulk and pharmaceutical preparations based on the measurement of the silver nanoparticles-enhanced fluorescence of citalopram/terbium complexes. J Fluoresc 23:161–169CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Montgomery DC (2008) Design and analysis of experiments. John Wiley & Sons, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Tan H, Li Q, Ma C, Song Y, Xu F, Chen S, Wang L (2014) Lanthanide-functionalized silver nanoparticles for detection of an anthrax biomarker and test paper fabrication. J Nanopart Res 16:1–11Google Scholar