Sesquiterpene Fingerprinting by Headspace SPME–GC–MS: Preliminary Study for a Simple and Powerful Analytical Tool for Traceability of Olive Oils
Solid-phase microextraction combined with gas chromatography–mass spectrometry is employed to characterise the head space composition of extra virgin olive oil with particular emphasis on some sesquiterpenes useful for oil classification. It is demonstrated that α-muurolene and α-farnesene contents (normalised to α-copaene), besides discriminating between Apulian and foreign oils, is even capable of differentiating between different sub-brands of Terra di Bari (protected denomination of origin) oils, produced in neighbouring, very restricted areas of the Apulian region.
KeywordsSPME GC–MS Sesquiterpenes Olive oils
Partial funding from the Università degli Studi di Bari Aldo Moro is gratefully acknowledged. This work was a part of the PhD thesis of A. Damascelli.
- Council Regulation (EEC) (1992) Council Regulation (EEC) No. 2081/92 of 14 July 1992 on the protection of geographical indications and designations of origin for agricultural products and foodstuffs. Off J Eur Union L 208:1–8Google Scholar
- Council Regulation (EEC) (2006) Council Regulation (EC) No. 510/2006 of 20 March 2006 on the protection of geographical indications and designations of origin for agricultural products and foodstuffs. Off J Eur Union L 93:12–25Google Scholar
- Council Regulation (EEC) (2002) Commission Regulation (EC) No. 1019/2002 of 13 June 2002 on marketing standards for olive oil. Off J Eur Communities L 155:27–31Google Scholar
- Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana (1998) Decreto of 4 September 1998 on annessione al disciplinare di produzione della denominazione di origine controllata dell'olio extravergine di oliva Terra di Bari 227:13–15Google Scholar
- Lorenzo M, Pérez Pavón JL, Fernández Laespada ME, Pinto CG, Corsero BM (2001) J Chromatogr A 945:221Google Scholar
- Angerosa F, Servili M, Selvaggini R, Taticchi A, Esposto S, Montedoro GF (2004) J Chromatogr A 1054:17Google Scholar