Dimensions of Perceived Racism and Self-Reported Health: Examination of Racial/Ethnic Differences and Potential Mediators
- First Online:
Many details of the negative relationship between perceived racial/ethnic discrimination and health are poorly understood.
The purpose of this study was to examine racial/ethnic differences in the relationship between perceived discrimination and self-reported health, identify dimensions of discrimination that drive this relationship, and explore psychological mediators.
Asian, Black, and Latino(a) adults (N = 734) completed measures of perceived racial/ethnic discrimination, self-reported health, depression, anxiety, and cynical hostility.
The association between perceived discrimination and poor self-reported health was significant and did not differ across racial/ethnic subgroups. Race-related social exclusion and threat/harassment uniquely contributed to poor health for all groups. Depression, anxiety, and cynical hostility fully mediated the effect of social exclusion on health, but did not fully explain the effect of threat.
Our results suggest that noxious effects of race-related exclusion and threat transcend between-group differences in discriminatory experiences. The effects of race-related exclusion and threat on health, however, may operate through different mechanisms.
KeywordsRacism Ethnic discrimination Self-reported health Health Social exclusion Meditation Depression
- 15.Kwate NOA, Valdimarsdottir HB, Guevarra JS, Bovbjerg DH: Experiences of racist events are associated with negative health consequences for African American women. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2003, 96:450-460.Google Scholar
- 32.Jasinskaja-Lahti I, Liebkind K, Perhoniemi R: Perceived ethnic discrimination at work and well-being of immigrants in Finland: The moderating role of employment status and work-specific group-level control beliefs. International Journal of Intercultural Relations. 2007, 31:223-242.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Ren XS, Amick BC, Williams DR: Racial/ethnic disparities in health: The interplay between discrimination and socioeconomic status. Ethn Dis. 1999, 9:151-165.Google Scholar
- 42.Ryan AM, Gee GC, Laflamme DF: The association between self-reported discrimination, physical health and blood pressure: Findings from African Americans, Black immigrants, and Latino immigrants in New Hampshire. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2006, 17:116-132.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 54.Williams DR, Gonzalez HM, Williams SL, et al.: Perceived discrimination, race and health in South Africa. Social Science & Medicine. 2008, 67:12p.Google Scholar
- 57.Ogbu JU: Cultural amplifiers of intelligence: IQ and minority status in cross-cultural perspective. In J. M. Fish (ed), Race and intelligence: Separating science from myth. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2002, 241-278.Google Scholar
- 67.Bureau USC: http://www.census.gov/population/www/projections/usinterimproj/. 2008
- 68.Brondolo E, Brady N, Beatty DL, Pencille M, Contrada, R: Coping with racism: A selective review and theoretical and methodological critique. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2009, 32:64–88Google Scholar
- 71.Brondolo E, Thompson S, Brady N, et al.: The relationship of racism to appraisals and coping in a community sample. Ethnicity & Disease. 2005, 15:S5-14-19.Google Scholar
- 77.Jackson JS, Brown TN, Williams DR, et al.: Racism and the physical and mental health status of African Americans: A thirteen year national panel study. Ethn Dis. 1996, 6:132-147.Google Scholar
- 91.Kwok J, Atencio J, Ullah J, et al.: The Perceived Ethnic Discrimination Questionnaire – Community Version: Validation in a Multi-Ethnic Asian Sample, 2008Google Scholar
- 92.Kwok J, Kumar A, Jhalani J, et al.: Preliminary Validation of the Perceived Ethnic Discrimination Questionnaire in an Asian Sample. Annual Meeting of the Society for Behavioral Medicine, San Diego, CA, 2008, MarchGoogle Scholar
- 93.Deragotis LR: Symptom Checklist-90-R: Administration, scoring and procedures manual. 3rd ed. Minneapolis, MN: National Computer Systems, Inc., 1994.Google Scholar
- 100.Preacher KJ, Hayes AF: Available from: http://www.comm.ohio-state.edu/ahayes/spss%20programs/indirect.htm
- 103.Lopez R: Black-white residential segregation and physical activity. Ethnicity & Disease. 2006, 16:495-502.Google Scholar