History of Unemployment Predicts Future Elevations in C-Reactive Protein among Male Participants in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study
- First Online:
- 196 Downloads
Unemployment is associated with risk of future morbidity and premature mortality.
To examine whether unemployment history predicts future C-reactive protein (CRP) levels in male participants in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study.
Unemployment, body mass index (BMI), and health behaviors were measured at 7, 10, and 15 years post-recruitment. CRP was measured at Years 7 and 15.
Having a history of unemployment at Year 10 was associated with higher CRP at Year 15, independent of age, race, BMI, Year 7 CRP, Year 15 unemployment, and average income across Years 10–15. Poor health practices and depressive symptoms explained 22% of the association, but Year 10 unemployment history remained a significant predictor. Findings did not differ across age, race, education, or income.
Discrete episodes of unemployment may have long-term implications for future CRP levels.
KeywordsUnemployment C-reactive protein Socioeconomic status Health behaviors
- 14.Feather NT, O’Brien GE. A longitudinal study of the effects of employment and unemployment on school-leavers. J Occup Psychol. 1986; 59: 121–144.Google Scholar
- 16.Bierhaus A, Wolf J, Andrassy M, Rohleder N, Humpert PM, Petrov D, Ferstl R, von Eynatten M, Wendt T, Rudofsky G, Joswig M, Morcos M, Schwaninger M, McEwen B, Kirschbaum C, Nawroth PP. A mechanism converting psychosocial stress into mononuclear cell activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 1920–1925.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Cutter GR, Burke GL, Dyer AR, Friedman GD, Hilner JE, Hughes GH, Hulley SB, Jacobs DRJ, Liu K, Monolio TA, Oberman A, Perkins LL, Savage PJ, Serwitz JR, Sidney S, Wagenknecht LE. Cardiovascular risk factors in young adults: The CARDIA baseline monograph. Control Clin Trials. 1991; 12: 1s–77s.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.The University of Alabama at Birmingham DoPM. Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study. Available at: http://www.cardia.dopm.uab.edu/o_brde.htm. Accessibility verified March 15, 2006.
- 35.U.S. Census Bureau. Educational attainment: 2000. Available at: www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-24.pdf. Accessibility verified March 5, 2007.
- 36.U.S. Census Bureau. Household income: 1999. Available at: www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/c2kbr-36.pdf. Accessibility verified March 5, 2007.
- 37.Rohde LE, Hennekens CH, Ridker PM. Survey of C-reactive protein and cardiovascular risk factors in apparently healthy men. Am J Cardiol. 1999; 84.Google Scholar