SHRIMPDB: a new geoanalytical database for U-Th-Pb geochronological data from SHRIMP measurements
- 147 Downloads
This paper introduces a novel web-based database, SHRIMPDB, to support the efficient reutilization of U-Th-Pb geochronological data from sensitive high-resolution ion microprobe (SHRIMP) measurements. In order to provide complete data content that can be reutilized by Earth scientists, a new data model containing analytical data and relevant sample metadata is proposed according to analyses of measurement procedures and the data characteristics of SHRIMP. Vivid data visualization, real-time data query interfaces (including a novel and intuitive polygonal region search), and a pragmatic data management module are designed and implemented using web-based and cloud GIS-based technologies, which provide a platform for Earth scientists to efficiently curate and share SHRIMP data on the internet. An incentive that encourages geochronologists to contribute data is suggested through cooperation between SHRIMPDB and the Beijing SHRIMP center. The database is currently under evaluation at the Beijing SHRIMP center. SHRIMPDB is globally available online at http://22.214.171.124/shrimpdb/home.
KeywordsGeochronology Radiometric dating Data reutilization Database SHRIMP
We are greatly indebted to professor Yu-sheng, Wan for numerous comments and analysis which make an important effect in the development of SHRIMPDB. This work was financially supported by National Major Scientific Instruments and Equipment Development Special Funds [2016YFF0103303, 2011YQ050069] and the National project of 211 -Sharing of High School Instrument Equipment and High-quality Resources (CERS-2-9).
- Chisholm EI, Sircombe KN, Dibugnara DL (2010) Handbook of Geochronology Mineral Separation Laboratory Techniques. Urologiia 17(4): 365–75.Google Scholar
- DATATABLES (2015) DataTables table plug-in for jQueryGoogle Scholar
- Kroener A, Liu D (2011) Report of 10th anniversary of the Beijing SHRIMP Centre, China. Episodes, 34(4)Google Scholar
- Lopes C, Ferreira A, Chichorro M, Pereira MF, Almeida JA, Solá AR (2014) Chronibe r i a : the ongoing deve lopment of a Geochronological GIS database of Iberia. In: Rocha R, Pais J, Kullberg JC, Finney S (eds). In: STRATI 2013 : First International Congress on Stratigraphy at the Cutting Edge of Stratigraphy. Springer International Publishing, 733–736 ppGoogle Scholar
- Ludwig KR (2001) Squid (1.13b), A user's manual: Berkeley Geochronology Center Special Publication 2. -2003, ISOPLOT 3.0: A geochronological toolkit for Microsoft Excel 855Google Scholar
- Ludwig KR (2008) User’s Manual for Isoplot/Ex. Department of Computer Science University of Canterbury, 130(3): 206–207Google Scholar
- Ludwig KR (2009) SQUID 2: a user’s manual, rev. 12 Apr, 2009. Berkeley geochronology center special publication, 100 pGoogle Scholar
- Pignone M, Cogliano R, Moschillo R (2017) The development of a cloud-GIS platform for the management and sharing of geographic data during the Central Italy seismic sequence. Ann Geophys, 59. Fast Track 5, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4401/ag-7268
- Stern RA (1997) The GSC Sensitive High Resolution Ion Microprobe (SHRIMP): analytical techniques of zircon U-Th-Pb age determinations and performance evaluation: in Radiogenic Age and Isotopic Studies, Report 10, Geological Survey of Canada, Current Research 1997-F, pp 1–31Google Scholar
- Walker JD, Bowring JF, Mclean N, Ash J (2016) THE GEOCHRON DATABASE, Gsa Meeting in Denver, Colorado, USAGoogle Scholar