Scale for Measuring Child Sexual Abuse Awareness for Parents: A Scale Development Study
- 21 Downloads
Child sexual abuse is under researched in the Northern Cypriot context. To fill this gap in the literature, this study aims to develop a Child Sexual Abuse Awareness Scale to measurement the awareness levels of parents. The research participants consisted of 455 parents (335 mothers and 120 fathers) who had children between the ages of 8 and 10. In the process of the development of scale descriptive statistics, content validity, exploratory factor analysis of scale, and AMOS 21 were used for confirmatory factor analysis. Cronbach’s Alpha and split-half tests were performed for measuring the reliability of the scale. The outcomes show that the CSA Awareness Scale for Parents is a valid and reliable scale.
KeywordsChild sexual abuse Awareness Scale development Parents
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Akduman, G. G., & Cantürk, G. (2011). The way of behaving scala against the children who were sexual abuse: Acceptability and reliability study. Turkish Journal of Forensic Medicine, 24(2), 22–29.Google Scholar
- Alpaslan, A. H. (2014). [Childhood Sexual Abuse.] Kocatepe Medical Journal, 15(2), 194–201. Retrieved from http://dergipark.gov.tr/download/article-file/161236 [In Turkish].
- Aytaç, M., & Öngen, B. (2012). [The structure of environmental attitudes: First-order confirmatory factor analysis.] Journal of Statisticians: Statistics & Actuarial Sciences, 5, 14–22. Retrieved from https://dergipark.org.tr/download/article-file/105674 [In Turkish].
- Ayyıldız, H., & Cengiz, E. (2006). A conceptual investigation of structural equation models (SEM) on testing marketing models. The Journal of Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, 11(1), 63–84 [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Bakır, E., & Kapucu, S. (2017). Reflection of child neglect and abuse to researches in Turkey: A literature review. Journal of Hacettepe University Faculty of Nursing, 4(2), 13–24 [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Berkmen, B., & Abidoğlu, Ü. P. (2018). An assessment on the scientific studies conducted in North Cyprus about child abuse. The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 1(Special Issue), 149–155.Google Scholar
- Berkmen, B., & Okray, Z. (2015). The Turkish translation, reliability and validity study of child abuse scale. Hacettepe University Faculty of Health Sciences Journal, 1(1), 343–361 In Turkish.Google Scholar
- Bora, H. (2014). [Analysis of the crimes committed in TRNC, crime victim and offender profiles.] (PhD Thesis), Police Academy, Ankara. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Büyüköztürk, Ş. (2002). [Data Analysis Handbook.] Ankara: Pegem Yayıncılık. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Cresswell, J. W. (2014). Research design. Qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods approaches. Research Design Qualitative Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches.Google Scholar
- Çalışandemir, F., Bencik, S., & Artan, İ. (2008). Sexual education of children: An overview from the past to present. Education and Science, 33(150), 14–27.Google Scholar
- Çokluk, O., Şekercioğlu, G., & Büyüköztürk, Ş. (2010). [Multivariate statistics for social sciences SPSS and LISREL applications] (First Ed). Ankara: Pegem Yayıncılık. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Eliküçük, A., & Dönmez, S. (2011). Examination of opinions of parents about sexual development and education six years old children. Aile ve Toplum Eğitim-Kültür ve Araştırma Dergisi, 7(25), 45–62 [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Eser, B. (2016). [Examination of the value of the child in the context of family structures in Northern Cyprus] (Msc Thesis), Eastern Mediterranean University, Famagusta. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Finkelhor, D. (1997). Child sexual abuse: Challenges facing child protection and mental health professionals. In E. Ullmann & W. Hilweg (Eds.), Childhood and Trauma – Separation, Abuse, War (pp. 101–116). Brookfield USA • Singapore • Sydney.Google Scholar
- Göynüklü, C. (2012). Childrens rights in North Cyprus (1st Ed). Nicosia: Kıbrıslı Türk İnsan Hakları Vakfı Yayınları. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Higgins, M., & Swain, J. (2010). Disability and child sexual abuse lessons from survivors’ narratives for effective protection, prevention and treatment. London and Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.Google Scholar
- Human Rights Association. (2008). Educational guidelines for teachers and families to prevent child abuse and neglect. Ankara: Ofset.Google Scholar
- Jackson, E., & Wernharm, M. (2005). Child protection policies and procedures toolkit. London: Consortium for Street Children. Retrieved from https://www.unicef.org/violencestudy/pdf/CP Manual - Introduction.pdf.
- Karakoç, F. Y., & Dönmez, L. (2014). [Basic principles of scale development.] Tıp Eğitimi Dünyası, 40, 39–49. Retrieved from http://dergipark.gov.tr/download/article-file/199275 [In Turkish].
- Karuna, B. (2012). A comparative study to assess the knowledge of rural urban mothers regarding child abuse in selected areas of Kolar with a view to develop an information booklet. Rajiv Gandhi University.Google Scholar
- Kelly, L., & Karsna, K. (2017). Measuring the scale and changing nature of child sexual abuse and child sexual exploitation Scoping report. Retrieved from https://www.csacentre.org.uk/research-publications/scale-and-nature-of-child-sexual-abuse-and-exploitation/scoping-report/
- Kenny, M. C., & Wurtele, S. K. (2008). Toward prevention of childhood sexual abuse: preschoolers’ knowledge of genital body parts. In Proceedings of the Seventh Annual College of Education Research Conference: Urban and International Education Section.Google Scholar
- Kline, R. B. (2005). Methodology in the social sciences. Principles and practice of structural equation modeling (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Kraizer, S., Witte, S. S., & Freyer, G. E. (1989). Child sexual abuse prevention programs : What makes them effective in protecting children ? Children Today.Google Scholar
- Lanning, B., Ballard, D. J., & Robinson, J. (1999). Child sexual abuse prevention programs in Texas public elementary schools. Journal of School Health. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.1999.tb02333.x.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Marwan A, Bakarman, Z. O. E. (2017). Preventing child sexual abuse, what parents know? Annals of King Edward Medical University. Lahore.Google Scholar
- Mathoma, A. M., Maripe-Perera, D. B., Khumalo, L. P., Mbayi, B. L., & Seloilwe, E. S. (2006). Knowledge and perceptions of parents regarding child sexual abuse in Botswana and Swaziland. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2005.08.002.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A. M. (1994). Focusing and bounding the collection of data. Further design issues. In Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook.Google Scholar
- Morris, M. C., Kouros, C. D., Janecek, K., Freeman, R., Mielock, A., & Garber, J. (2017). Community-level moderators of a school-based childhood sexual assault prevention program. Child Abuse and Neglect, 63, 295–306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2016.10.005.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Osadan, R., & Reid, E. (2015). The importance of knowing child sexual abuse symptoms in the elementary teacher’s work. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 7(1), 20–32. Retrieved from http://www.ijhssnet.com/journals/Vol_5_No_7_1_July_2015/3.pdf
- Ovayolu, N., Uçan, Ö., & Serindağ, S. (2007). Sexual abuse in child and its effects. Fırat Sağlık Hizmetleri Dergisi, 2(4), 13–22 [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Özdamar, K. (2004). [Statistical data analysis with packet programs (multivariate analyzes)]. II. Eskişehir: Kaan Kitabevi. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Pala, B., Ünalacak, M., & Ünlüoğlu, İ. (2011). Child maltreatment: Abuse and neglect. Dicle Medical Journal, 38(1), 121–127 [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Patton, M. Q. (2002). Qualitative research & evaluation methods (3rd ed.). CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Pekdoğan, S. (2017). Abuse awareness scale parents form: Scale development study. Akademik Bakış Dergisi, 62, 173–185 [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape, & National Sexual Violence Resource Center. (2011). Child Sexual Abuse Prevention and Risk Reduction:Literature Review for Parents & Guardians. Journal of Sexual Violence and Rape (Vol. 27). North Enola: NSVRC Publications. Retrieved from http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_LiteratureReview_Child-Sexual-Abuse-Prevention-and-Risk-Reduction-review-for-parents.pdf
- Polat, O. (2007a). [Child abuse: Definitions] (1st ed.). Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Polat, O. (2007b). [Child abuse: Prevention and rehabilitation]. Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Prevent Child Abuse America. (2016). Preventing child sexual abuse position statement. Retrieved from https://preventchildabuse.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Preventing-CSA.pdf
- Sathiavarthini, J. P. (2015). Effectiveness of vıdeo assısted teaching programme on knowledge regarding prevention of child abuse among school teachers in capron hall girls higer secondary school at madurai district. Medical University.Google Scholar
- Savitha, A., Nalini, M., Shetty, R., Aruni, G., & Sukesh, P. (2016). Awareness about child abuse among care givers and teachers in selected rural schools at Mangalore. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research, 6(4), 476–480. https://doi.org/10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00089.6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sönmez, V., & Alacapınar, F. G. (2014). [Scientific research methods] (3rd Ed.). Ankara: Anı Yayıncılık. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Sönmez, V., & Alacapınar, F. G. (2016). [Preparing measurement tool in social sciences]. Ankara: Anı Yayıncılık. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Taner, Y., & Gökler, B. (2004). [Child abuse and neglect: psychiatric aspects]. Hacettepe Tıp Dergisi, (35), 82–86. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Taşkın, Ç., & Akat, Ö. (2013). [Structural equation modeling in research methods] Bursa: Ekin Yayınevi. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Tavşancıl, E. (2002). [Measurement of attitudes and SPSS data analysis] (1st ed.). Ankara: Nobel Yayınevi. [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Turkish Statistical Institute. (2018). [Statistical data on child victims of sexual crimes]. Retrieved September 19, 2018, from https://biruni.tuik.gov.tr/medas/?kn=98&locale=tr [In Turkish]..
- Ünal, F. (2008). Child abuse and neglect in family. Türkiye Sosyal Araştırmalar Dergisi, 1, 9–18 [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (2017). Sexual violence statistic. Retrieved October 4, 2018, from http://data.unicef.org/topic/child-protection/violence/sexual-violence/#.
- UNICEF, & UN General Assembly. (1989). Convention on the rights of a child. United Nations, Treaty Series. https://doi.org/10.2307/4065371
- World Health Organization. (2017). Child Maltreatment. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/child/Child_maltreatment_infographic_EN.pdf?ua=1
- Yakut, H. İ., & Korkmaz, E. (2013). Child sexual abuse. The Journal of Gynecology-Obsterics and Neonatology, 10(39), 1630–1632.Google Scholar
- Yamamoto, D. (2015). The advocate’s guide: Working with parents of children who have been sexually assaulted. Enola, PA: National Sexual Violence Resource Center. Retrieved from https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_guides_the-advocates-guide-working-with-parents-of-children-who-have-been-sexually-assaulted.pdf
- Yaratan, H. (2014). Basic statistics for social sciences: Applied SPSS. Anı Yayıncılık: Ankara [In Turkish].Google Scholar
- Yiğit, R. (2005). Sexual abuse in children and incest. Journal of Anatolia Nursing and Health Sciences, 8, 90–100. Retrieved from http://e-dergi.atauni.edu.tr/ataunihem/article/view/1025000380
- Zafar, S., & Ross, E. C. (2013). Perceptions of childhood sexual abuse survivors: Development and initial validation of a new scale to measure stereotypes of adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse. https://doi.org/10.1080/10538712.2013.743955.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar