A Search for Truth: A Critical Analysis of the Liberian Truth and Reconciliation Commission
- 747 Downloads
In Liberia, much debate has surrounded the truth and reconciliation commission both in the challenges that it faced during its operational stage as well as in the issues surrounding the release and content of its report. This article will critically examine the establishment, proceedings, and findings of the Liberian Truth and Reconciliation Commission in order to draw conclusions regarding what lessons can be learned, what could have been done to make the commission more effective, and how we can learn from this example in applying transitional justice mechanisms for future African conflicts.
KeywordsTransitional justice Liberia Truth commissions Reconciliation Post-conflict Africa
- Advocates for Human Rights (2009) A House with Two Rooms: Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Liberia Diaspora Project. DRI, St. Paul, Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Amnesty International (22 June 2006) Truth, justice and reparation: memorandum on Truth and Reconciliation Act. http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/AFR34/005/2006.
- Amnesty International (July 2008) Liberia: Towards the Final Phase of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.Google Scholar
- Bakiner, O (December 2011) Commission Impact: An Assessment of How Commissions Influence Politics and Society. Simons Papers in Security and Development, No. 16/2011, School for International Studies, Simon Fraser University, VancouverGoogle Scholar
- Borer, TA (2006) Telling the Truths: Truth Telling and Peace Building in Post-Conflict Societies. University of Notre Dame Press, Notre Dame.Google Scholar
- Cingranelli, DL and Richards, DL (principal investigators) (2013) The Cingranelli–Richards (CIRI) Human Rights Dataset, Dataset Version: 2013.03.13, http://www.humanrightsdata.org.
- Comprehensive Peace Agreement between the Government of Liberia and the Liberians United for Reconciliation and Democracy (LURD) and the Movement for Democracy in Liberia (MODEL) and Political Parties (18 Aug. 2003) Peace Agreements Digital Collection, United States Institute of Peace. www.usip.org
- Consolidated Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Liberia (TRC) Volume I, II and III. (2008–2009) Republic of Liberia Truth and Reconciliation Commission.Google Scholar
- Gberie, L (2008) Briefing: Truth and Justice on Trial in Liberia. Afr. Aff., 107/428.Google Scholar
- Hayner, P (2011) Unspeakable Truths: Transitional Justice and the Challenge of Truth Commissions, 2nd edition. Routledge, London.Google Scholar
- Healing a Divided Society: A Survey of Knowledge and Attitudes Toward Transitional Justice in Liberia. (2008) BBC World Service Trust and Search for Common Ground.Google Scholar
- Isser, DH, Lubkemann, SC and N’Tow, S. Looking for Justice: Liberian Experiences With and Perceptions of Local Justice Options. USIP Peaceworks: No. 63, 3.Google Scholar
- James-Allen, P, Weah, A and Goodfriend, L (2010) Beyond the Truth and Reconciliation Commission: Transitional Justice Options in Liberia. International Center for Transitional Justice.Google Scholar
- Jaye, T (24 July 2007) Liberia’s TRC: Contexts, Mandates and Challenges. Pambazuka News.Google Scholar
- Liberia TRC (31 March 2008) Policy Paper on General Immunity for All the TRC Witnesses. Press Release, Public Bulletin No. 2. https://www.trcofliberia.org/news-1/press-releases/trc-public-bulletin-no-02-policy-paper-on-general-immunity-for-all-trc-witnesses
- Liberia: TRC Chairman Clarifies—Says There Is No Amnesty Act. (16 July 2009) The Analyst: AllAfrica.com. http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200907170974.html.
- National Transitional Legislative Assembly (12 May 2005) An Act to Establish the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) of Liberia.Google Scholar
- Olsen, T, Payne, L and Reiter, A (2010) Transitional Justice in Balance: Comparing Processes, Weighing Efficacy. United States Institute of Peace Press.Google Scholar
- Pajibo, E (2008) Traditional Justice Mechanisms: The Liberian Case. Traditional Justice and Reconciliation after Violent Conflict: Learning from African Experiences. Stockholm: International IDEA.Google Scholar
- Policy Paper on Application for Amnesty. TRC Bulletin No. 6.Google Scholar
- Sleh, A, Toe, S and Weah, A (2008) Impunity Under Attack: The Evolution and Imperatives of the Liberian Truth Commission. Civic InitiativeGoogle Scholar
- Steinberg, J (25 Nov 2009) Liberia’s Experiment with Transitional Justice. Afr. Aff., 109/434: 135-144.Google Scholar
- Thomas Woewiyu et al vs. the Truth and Reconciliation Commission through its Chairman Jerome J Verdier (1 February 2010) Class Action: Petition for Declaratory Judgment.Google Scholar
- Transitional Justice in Liberia. Coexistence International. http://www.brandeis.edu/coexistence/pubs/liberiatj.html
- Transitional Justice Working Group (2004) The Road to Peace In Liberia: Citizens’ Views on Transitional Justice.Google Scholar
- van der Merwe, H, Baxter, V and Chapman, A (eds.) (2009) Assessing the Impact of Transitional Justice: Challenges for Empirical Research. United States Institute of Peace Press, Washington DC.Google Scholar
- Vinck P, Pham PN, Kreutzer T (2011). Talking Peace: A Population-Based Survey on Attitudes about Security, Dispute Resolution, and Post-Conflict Reconstruction in Liberia. Human Rights Center, University of California, Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Wiebelhaus-Brahm, E (2010) Truth Commissions and Transitional Societies: The Impact on Human Rights and Democracy. Routledge, London.Google Scholar
- Young, LA and Park, R (2009) Engaging diasporas in truth commissions: lessons from the Liberia Truth and Reconciliation Commission Diaspora Project. Int. J. Trans. Just. 3.Google Scholar