Refugees and Host Country Nexus: a Case Study of Pakistan
- 150 Downloads
The number of refugees in the world is on increase once again just like the 1990s. There is plentiful scholarly literature available on the nexus of refugees and host country. This particular study brings new insight into existing literature by focusing on Pakistan (the home of the second largest refugees by numbers) and employing the multi-criteria decision-making (MCDM) techniques such as analytic hierarchy process (AHP) and order of preference by similarity to ideal solution (TOPSIS) to determine how refugees influence host country, and how these influences vary among various refugee populations in the very same country while considering opinions of local communities and organizations dealing with these refugees. At the same time, using last 15 years’ data, the study forecasts the refugee number that may repatriate by 2018 using exponential smoothing technique. The study is useful for policy makers dealing with refugees, such as UNHCR or governments of refugee-hosting countries, and local populations of the host countries, and to the greater general readers having interest in this area.
KeywordsRefugees MCDM AHP TOPSIS Exponential smoothing UNHCR
- Ali, Y., Iftikhar, N., & Edwin, A. C. (2017a). Assessment of career selection problems in developing countries: a MCDM approach. International Journal of the Analytic Hierarchy Process. https://doi.org/10.13033/ijahp.v9i2.488.
- Ali, Y., Asghar, A., Muhammad, N., & Salman, A. (2017b). Selection of a fighter aircraft to improve the effectiveness of air combat in war on terror: Pakistan Air Force—a case in point. International Journal of the Analytic Hierarchy Process. https://doi.org/10.13033/ijahp.v9i2.489.
- Ali, Y., Rasheed, Z., Muhammad, N., & Yousaf, S. (2017c). Energy optimization in the wake of China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). Journal of Control and Decision, 5(2), 129–147. https://doi.org/10.1080/23307706.2017.1353929.
- Ali, Y., Butt, M., Sabir, M., Mumtaz, U., & Salman, A. (2017d). Selection of suitable site in Pakistan for wind power plant installation using analytic hierarchy process (AHP). Journal of Control and Decision, 5(2), 117–128. https://doi.org/10.1080/23307706.2017.1346490.
- Alinezhad, A., & Amini, A. (2011). Sensitivity analysis of TOPSIS technique: the results of change in the weight of one attribute on the final ranking of alternatives. Journal of Optimization in Industrial Engineering, 23–28.Google Scholar
- Baloch, Shah Meer (2017). Rohingya in Pakistan living in ‘abysmal’ conditions. Deutsche Welle, A German Broadcaster, Germany. Retrieved January 30, 2018, from http://www.dw.com/en/rohingya-in-pakistan-living-in-abysmal-conditions/a-40668960.
- Brynen, R. (2002). Diaspora populations and security issues in host countries. In Metropolis Interconference seminar, “immigrants and homeland,” Dubrovnik, Croatia., 4, 16.Google Scholar
- Chandran, D. S. (2007). The forgotten people of AJK.Google Scholar
- Chatta, I. (2013). Refugee settlement from Pakistan: findings from Afghan refugee camps in NWFP.Google Scholar
- Dar, A. R. (2016). Linkages between education and empowerment: the case of Kashmiri refugess. Development, studies and working papers.Google Scholar
- Del Carpio, X. V., & Mathis, C. W. (2015). The impact of Syrian refugees on the Turkish labor market. Washington, DC: World Bank Group: Policy Research Working Paper No. WPS7402. Retrieved January 27, 2018.Google Scholar
- Egan, L. (2017). Forced migration populations and terrorism. Master Thesis: School of Arts & Sciences, Hunter College, City University of New York (CUNY).Google Scholar
- Fiala, N. (2015). Economic consequences of forced displacement. The Journal of Development Studies, 1275–1293.Google Scholar
- Foreman, M. (2015). Walking with broken crutches: exploring the effects of host-state fragility upon refugees. MS Thesis. School of People, Environment and Planning, Massey University, Manawatu, New Zealand. Retrieved January 29, 2018, from https://mro.massey.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10179/10215/Foreman%20research%20report.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y.
- Gordic, M., Petrovic, I., & Tancic, D. (2017). The impact of refugee crisis on the security of western Balkan countries. Retrieved May 14, 2018, from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ivan_Petrovic9/publication/321197962_THE_IMPACT_OF_REFUGEE_CRISIS_ON_THE_SECURITY_OF_WESTERN_BALKAN_COUNTRIES/links/5a148878aca27273c9eb014d/THE-IMPACT-OF-REFUGEE-CRISIS-ON-THE-SECURITY-OF-WESTERN-BALKAN-COUNTRIES.pdf.
- Idris, I. (2017). Rohingya refugee crisis: impact on Bangladeshi politics. Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, UK. Retrieved January 27, 2018, from https://opendocs.ids.ac.uk/opendocs/bitstream/handle/123456789/13374/233%20Rohingya%20Refugee%20Crisis%20Impact%20on%20Bangladeshi%20Politics.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Issa, S. S., Desmond, G., & Ross-Sherif, F. (2010). Refguee history and policies of Pakistan: an Afghan case study. In U. A. Sega, Elliott, & N. S. Mayadas (Eds.), Immigration worldwide: policies (pp. 171–190). New York: Oxford University.Google Scholar
- Jahre, M., Kembro, J., Adjahossou, A., & Altay, N. (2018). Approaches to the design of refugee camps: an empirical study in Kenya, Ethiopia, Greece, and Turkey. Journal of Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Management, published online.Google Scholar
- Jiadong, Z. (2017). Wall panel optimization for refugee shelters in Germany: an AHP study. MS Thesis. Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA.Google Scholar
- Khan, I. (2017). KP prosecution data gives lie to claims against Afghan refugees. Retrieved May 12, 2018, from Daily Dawn: https://www.dawn.com/news/1308486.
- Khattak, S. G. (2003). Afghan refugees and politics in Pakistan. Working Paper Series No. 84, Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI), Islamabad, Pakistan. Retrieved January 29, 2018, from http://www.sdpi.org/publications/files/W84-INSECURITY.pdf.
- Khuhro, A., Bukhari, N., & Lashari, T. (2009). Refugee problems and freedom movements: (a case study of Kashmir). Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 3(4), 4724–4728.Google Scholar
- Kibreab, G. (1996). People on the edge in the horn: displacement, land use and the environment in the Gearef Region, Sudan. Oxford, UK: James Currey.Google Scholar
- Mulligan, S. E. (2009). Radicalization within the Somali-American diaspora: countering the homegrown terrorist threat. MS Thesis: Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California USA.Google Scholar
- OBM Library. (2003). SRI on-site action alert: Rohingya refugees of Burma and UNHCR’s repatriation program. Online Burma/Myanmar Library. Retrieved January 30, 2018, from http://www.burmalibrary.org/docs/SRI-rohingya.htm#_ednref4.
- PBS. (2017). Pakistan Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved January 29, 2018, from http://www.pbs.gov.pk/content/provisional-summary-results-6th-population-and-housing-census-2017-0.
- Post, M. J., & Sheffer, G. (2007). The risk of radicalization and terrorism in U.S. muslim communities. The Brown Journal of World Affairs, 13(2), 101–112.Google Scholar
- Rengs, B., Buber-Ennser, I., Kohlenberger, J., Hoffmann, R., & Soder, M. (2017). Labour market profile, previous employment and economic integration of refugees: an Austrian case study. Vienna: Vienna Institute of Demography VID Working Paper No. 13/2017.Google Scholar
- Saaty, T. (1980). The analytic hierarchy process. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- UNHCR. (2017). Mid-year trend 2016. Geneva, Switzerland: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the UN Refugee Agency. Retrieved January 25, 2018, from http://www.unhcr.org/statistics/unhcrstats/58aa8f247/mid-year-trends-june-2016.html.
- UNHCR. (2018). United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, UN Agency for Refugees. Retrieved January 25, 2018, from https://www.unrefugees.org/refugee-facts/.
- WDI. (2016). World development indicators. Retrieved January 29, 2018, from The World Bank Group: https://data.worldbank.org/country/pakistan.
- Yousaf, S., Ali, Y., Sabir, M., & Masood, M. T. (2017). Production planning of Pakistan Tobacco Company (PTC) using quantitative and multiple-criteria decision analysis—a case in-point. Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, 24(5-6), 239–256.Google Scholar