A Call for an Integrated Biopsychosocial Model to Address Fundamental Disconnects in an Emergent Field: An Introduction to the Special Issue on “Sexuality and Aging”
This special issue of Ageing International is designed to highlight the clinicians, researchers, and public policy makers who focus upon the intersection of sexuality and aging. A theoretical, biopsychosocial model is introduced in response to a variety of apparent paradoxes in the field (e.g., although nearly 1 in 5 new AIDS cases are among adults over the age of 65, no federally funded programs exist for HIV prevention among this age group, and although virtually all findings in the literature are based upon men and women from North American and Western European nations, China boasts the largest population of older adults worldwide). Consistent with this integrated approach, contributors to the special issue provide emergent information in relation to HIV and AIDS among older men and women, cross-cultural perspectives on sexuality and aging within Chinese and Ugandan culture, sexuality within the context of long-term care, and clinical approaches to erectile dysfunction. Directions for future research also are offered.
KeywordsSexuality Aging Cross-cultural HIV/AIDS Viagra Erectile dysfunction
- Branson, B. M., Handsfield, H. H., Lampe, M. A., Janssen, R. S., Taylor, A. W., Lyss, S. B., et al. (2006). Revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settings. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly, 55(RR14), 1–17.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2008). Persons age 50 and over. Atlanta, GA: Author. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/over50/index.htm.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010). HIV surveillance report, 2008. Vol. 20. Atlanta: U.S.: Department of Health and Human Services. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/surveillance/resources/reports/2008report/pdf/2008SurveillanceReport.pdf.
- Laumann, E. O., Paik, A., Glasser, D. B., Kang, J.-H., Wang, T., Levinson, B., et al. (2006). A cross-national study of subjective sexual well-being among older women and men: findings from the global study of sexual attitudes and behaviors. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 35, 145–161.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Quinn, M. J. (2002). Elder abuse summit sets agenda: experts call for national action. Aging Today, 23(2), 1.Google Scholar
- Schnarch, D. M. (1991). Constructing the sexual crucible: an integration of sexual and martial therapy. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- United States Census Bureau. (2011). Population estimates. Retrieved http://www.census.gov/popest/estimates.html.
- Waite, L., Das, A., & Laumann, E. O. (2008). Sexuality activity, later life. In D. Carr, R. Crosnoe, M. E. Hughes, & A. M. Pienta (Eds.), Encyclopedia of the life course and human development (pp. 362–366). New York: Gale Cengage.Google Scholar
- Walz, T. (2002). Crones, dirty old men, sexy seniors: Representations of the sexuality of older persons. Journal of Aging and Identity, 7, 99–112.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2010). Gender and human rights: Sexual health. http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/gender_rights/sexual_health/en/.