Never the Twain…Introduction to the Special Issue Psychology of Religion: Dialogues Between Sociocultural and Cognitive Perspectives
Bringing together perspectives is rarely an easy task. By assembling researchers from cognitive and cultural traditions to discuss their reciprocal research in the field of psychology of religion, we thought that we will end up with an ecumenical conclusion, everyone being convinced that the other perspective will enrich her or his approach in the future. In this introduction, our objective is to show that it was not exactly the case and, by writing a two-voices introduction, to understand why we were eventually not so sure that we were all studying the same object.
KeywordsPsychology of religion Cultural psychology Cognitive psychology Epistemology
We would like to thank Prof. Jonathan Parker for pointing us to this Kipling's story as a beautiful way to express our ideas.
- Belzen, J. A. (2018). What, why and how? Meta-reflections on cultural psychological approaches to the scientific study of phenomena called religious. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12124-018-9427-9.
- Boyer, P. (2001). Et l'homme créa les dieux. Paris: Gallimard.Google Scholar
- Brandt, P.-Y. (2018). Religious and spiritual aspects in the construction of identity Modelized as a constellation. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12124-018-9436-8.
- Clegg, J. M., Cui, Y. K., Harris, P. L., & Corriveau, K. H. (2019). God, germs, and evolution: Belief in unobservable religious and scientific entities in the U.S. and China. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12124-019-9471-0
- Davidson, D. (1980). Essays on actions and events. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Dretske, F. (2004). Psychological vs. biological explanations of behavior. Behavior and Philosophy, 32(1), 167–177.Google Scholar
- Hervieu-Léger, D. (1997). Expériences sociales, expérimentations du sens et religion. Trajectoires typiques. In R. J. Campiche (Ed.), Cultures jeunes et religions en Europe (pp. 240–298). Paris: Les éditions du Cerf.Google Scholar
- Mohr, C., Lesaffre, L., & Kuhn, G. (2018). Magical potential: Why magic performances should be used to explore the psychological factors contributing to human belief formation. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12124-018-9459-1.
- Vygotsky, L.S. (1930). The Instrumental Method in Psychology. Text of a talk given in 1930 at the Krupskaya Academy of Communist Education, https://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1930/instrumental.htm (accessed November 8th 2018).
- Zittoun, T. (2018). A sociocultural psychological approach to religion. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12124-018-9457-3.