Feminism’s Flip Side: A Cultural History of the Pickup Artist
This paper provides a historical account of the ‘pickup artists’ (PUA) phenomenon, tracing the origins back to the early 1970s when more liberal attitudes towards sexuality were on the rise in the West. Today PUA advice not only includes information about seduction techniques, but also programs about self-improvement or so-called ‘inner game’. Seduction and dating gurus can be found across the internet—from individual bloggers to dating coaches and relationship experts—all providing niche services and products on how to seduce and/or have fulfilling relationships with women. By addressing the moral panics around the PUA discourse, the paper seeks to illustrate the connection between second wave feminism, as a discourse increasingly interested in the idea of ‘gender egalitarianism’ and the popularity of seduction techniques for men based on emerging scientific research.
KeywordsPickup artist Seduction Attraction Feminism Dating advice Moral panics
This study was 100% self-funded.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Andrew Stephen King has received no grants or research funding from any external, commercial and/or institutional sources.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- Amazon. (2017). Book review: How to be a 3% man: How to win the heart of the woman of your dreams [Kindle Edition]. https://www.amazon.com.au/Winning-Heart-Woman-Your-Dreams-ebook/dp/B004QOBAPK. October 3, 2017.
- Ariana, N. (1972). How to pick up men! Tenafly, NJ: Eric Weber Press.Google Scholar
- Bailey, B. (1989). From front porch to back seat: Courtship in twentieth-century America. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Baren-Cohen, S. (2003). The essential difference: Male and female brains and the truth about autism. London: Penguin Press Science.Google Scholar
- Bergner, D. (2013). What do women want? Adventures in the science of female desire. Melbourne: Text Publishing.Google Scholar
- Brizendine, L. (2007). The female brain. New York: Harmony.Google Scholar
- Brizendine, L. (2011). The male brain: A breakthrough understanding of how men and boys think. New York: Broadway Books.Google Scholar
- Connerley, M. M. (2008). When Suzie meets Ed: A history of dating advice from 1920 to 1970. Master’s Thesis: University of Kansas.Google Scholar
- De Angelo, D. (2001) Double your dating: What every man should know about how to be successful with women. http://doubleyourdating.com/.
- Donovan, A. (2017). Neil Strauss (style). https://www.datingskillsreview.com/neil-strauss/. October 3, 2017.
- Ellis, A. (2011). All out: An autobiography. New York: Prometheus Books.Google Scholar
- Gordon, J. (2016). Online ‘pick-up artist’ is branded ‘sexist’ and ‘disgusting’ after creating viral chat-up line which he claims will ‘get men laid’ on Tinder. Daily Mail Australia. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3455252/Online-pick-artist-branded-disgusting-creating-trashy-sexist-chat-line-guarantees-men-laid-Tinder.html. March 20, 2016.
- Gross, A. (2016). Pickup artists put new sheen on old sexism. Washington Square News. http://www.nyunews.com/2016/02/09/pickup-artists-put-new-sheen-on-old-sexism/. March 20, 2016.
- Hanley, J. (1937). Let’s make Mary: A Gentleman’s guide to seduction in 8 easy lessons. New York: Phoenix Press.Google Scholar
- Hollander, P. (2011). Expert advice on dating and mating. Culture and Society, 48, 251–257.Google Scholar
- Hunt, M. (1974). Sexual behaviour in the 1970s. New York: Dell Publications.Google Scholar
- Jeffries, R. (1988). How to get the women you desire into bed: A down and dirty guide to dating and seduction for the man who’s fed up with being Mr. Nice Guy. Self-published eBook. http://www.seduction.com/media/pdf/How-To-Get-The-Women-You-Desire-Into-Bed.pdf. March 20, 2016.
- Jonathan, N. H. (1948). Guide book for the young man about town. New York: Winston Press.Google Scholar
- Manson, M. (2011). Models: How to attract women through honesty. New York: CreateSpace Publishing.Google Scholar
- O’Neil, R. (2015). The work of seduction: Intimacy and subjectivity in the London ‘seduction community’. Sociological Research Online, 20(4), 5. http://www.socresonline.org.uk/20/4/5.html. February 10, 2016.
- Scriver, A. (2015). Toronto’s pickup artist culture promotes misogyny, masks bigger issues for men. She Knows Australia. http://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/1085634/torontos-pick-up-artist-culture-feeding-on-toxic-masculinity. March 20, 2016.
- Strauss, N. (2005). The game: Penetrating the secret society of pickup artists. New York: ReganBooks.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, R. (2016). ‘Pick-up artist’ Jeff Allen has his Australian visa cancelled. News.com.au. http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/immigration-minister-under-pressure-to-deport-pickup-artist-from-australia/news-story/6f2c365723dbfd71b54c293310e795b0. March 20, 2016.
- Thwaites, M. (2016). The sexist and misogynistic views of the ‘pick-up artist’ organising a meet-up for like-minded men in Cardiff. Wales Online. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/sexist-misogynistic-views-pick-up-10823255. March 20, 2016.
- Tomassi, R. (2017). The best of rational male: Year six. The Rational Male. https://therationalmale.com/2017/08/22/the-best-of-the-rational-male-year-six/. October 3, 2017.
- Valizadeh, R. (2013). Why can’t I use a smiley face? Stories from one month in America. Self-published eBook. http://www.rooshv.com/smiley-face. March 8, 2016.
- Valizadeh, R. (2016). How to stop rape. http://www.rooshv.com/how-to-stop-rape. March 20, 2016.
- von Markovic, E. (2007). The mystery method: How to get beautiful women in bed. London: St. Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Wayne, C. (2014a) How to be a 3% man: Winning the heart of the woman of your dreams. Self-published eBook. https://understandingrelationships.com/. March 20, 2016.
- Wayne, C. (2014b). What women really want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH-9ZVE6pJ8. March 20, 2016.
- Wayne, C. (2015). My feminist man hating girlfriend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEp0-vklfVE, March 20, 2016.
- Wayne, C. (2017). Coach Corey Wayne. https://www.youtube.com/user/coachcoreywayne/about. October 3, 2017.
- Weber, E. (1970). How to pick up girls. New York: Bantam Books.Google Scholar