Peek-a-boo, I See You: Watching Japanese Hard-core Animation
- 1.3k Downloads
This essay proposes a phenomenological approach to the viewing of Japanese hard-core animation (widely known in the West as “hentai”), a type of erotica frequently characterized by detailed, unusual and fantastic depictions of sexual activity habitually intended for sexual arousal. Pertinent instances of Japanese traditions of erotica and visual representation, as well as Japanese animation and its industry are briefly reviewed. The main theoretical focus is on the experience of viewing such animated material and is mostly informed by Western notions of pornography and film viewing, particularly Vivian Sobchack’s work on the phenomenology of film.
KeywordsHard-core Animation Anime Japan Pornography Phenomenology of film
- Akan, M. (2002). (Director). Nageki no Kenkô Yûryôji. Pink Pinneapple, KSS, 1994. F3: Frantic, frustrated and female. Subtitled DVD. SoftCel Pictures.Google Scholar
- Allison, A. (1996). Permitted and prohibited desires: Mothers, comics, and censorship in Japan. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Bolton, C. A. (2005). Anime horror and its audience: 3 × 3 eyes and Vampire Princess Miyu. In J. McRoy (Ed.), Japanese horror cinema (pp. 66–76). Edinburgh, Scotland: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Buckley, S. (1991). Penguin in bondage: A graphic tale of Japanese comic books. In C. Penley & A. Ross (Eds.), Technoculture (pp. 163–195). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Clements, J., & McCarthy, H. (2001). The anime encyclopedia: A guide to Japanese animation since 1917. Berkeley, CA: Stone Bridge Press.Google Scholar
- Fujimoto, Y. (Director). (1992). Yôjû Sensen Adventure kid. MW Films. Adventure kid. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1994.Google Scholar
- Fukuda, J., et al. (Directors). (1990). Yôjû Kyôshitsu. Daiei. Subtitled VHS. Demon beast invasion. Central Park Media Corporation, 1995.Google Scholar
- Fukumoto, K. (Director). (1994). Seijûden Twin dolls. Dandelion. Twin dolls. Subtitled VHS. Released in North America by SoftCel Pictures.Google Scholar
- Gardner, W. O. (2003, November). Attack of the phallic girls. Science Fiction Studies, 88(29.3), available at http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/review_essays/gardner88.htm#gardner. Accessed 13 April 2005.
- Grassmuck, V. (2000, April). Man, nation & machine: The otaku answer to pressing problems of the media society. Paper presented at the Jan van Eijk Akademie, Maastricht. Available at http://waste.informatik.hu-berlin.de/Grassmuck/Texts/otaku00_e.html. Accessed 13 April 2005.
- Harada, S. (Director). (1999). G-Taste. Beam Entertainment, Mybic, AIC. G-Taste. Subtitled DVD. SoftCel Pictures, 2003.Google Scholar
- Iwamoto, K. (1998). The Aesthetics of Japanese Cinema. Speech given at the symposium for the Asian Art Film Festival in Seoul, 1998. Available at http://www.raizofan.net/eng/jpncinema.htm. Accessed 6 September 2008.
- Kawajiri, Y. (Director). (1987). Yôjû Toshi. Madhouse. Wicked city. Subtitled DVD. Released in North America by Urban Vision.Google Scholar
- Kazuma, M., & Joban, S. (Directors). (1995). Injû Kyôshi 1& 2. Pink Pineapple. Angel of darkness I & II. Subtitled VHS. SoftCel Pictures, 1996.Google Scholar
- Kitakubo, H. (Director). (1995). Golden Boy. KSS. Goldenboy. Subtitled VHS. A.D. Vision, 1996.Google Scholar
- Kitasawa, R., & Fukumoto, K. (Directors). (1992). Injû Gakuen La Blue Girl. Daiei. La blue girl OVA collection. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1996.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, T., & Komura, T. (Directors). (1994). Magical twilight. Pink Pineapple. Subtitled VHS. SoftCel Pictures, 1994.Google Scholar
- Lamarre, T. (2004). An introduction to Otaku movement. Entertext, 4(1), 151–187.Google Scholar
- Miyazaki, H. (Director). (1997). Mononoke Hime. Studio Ghibli. Princess Mononoke. Subtitled DVD. Miramax, 2000.Google Scholar
- Miyazaki, H. (Director). (2001). Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi. Studio Ghibli. Spirited away. Subtitled DVD. Walt Disney Video, 2003.Google Scholar
- McLelland, M. (2006, January). A short history of ‘Hentai.’ Intersections, 12. Available at http://wwwsshe.murdoch.edu.au/intersections/issue12/mclelland.html. Accessed 12 July 2006.
- Nakao, S. (1995). Japanese-English English-Japanese dictionary. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- Napier, S. J. (2000). Anime: From Akira to Princess Mononoke. New York, NY: Palgrave.Google Scholar
- Nelson, A. N. (1962). The modern reader’s Japanese-English character dictionary (2nd ed.). Tokyo: Charles E. Tuttle Co.Google Scholar
- Patten, F. (2004). The anime “porn” market. In F. Patten (Ed.), Essays and reviews (pp. 110–118). Berkeley, California: Stone Bridge Press.Google Scholar
- Pointon, S. (1997). Transcultural orgasm as apocalypse: Urotsukidoji: The legend of the Overfiend. Wide Angle, 19(3), 41–63.Google Scholar
- Satoshi, K. (Director). (1998). Perfect blue. Rex Entertainment. Subtitled DVD. Manga Video, 2000.Google Scholar
- Sekita, O. (Director). (1991). U-Jin brand. JC Staff, Animate. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1993.Google Scholar
- Shigematsu, S. (1999). Dimensions of desire: Sex, fantasy, and fetish in Japanese comics. In J. A. Lent (Ed.), Themes and issues in Asian cartooning: Cute, cheap, mad and sexy (pp. 127–163). Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green State University Popular Press.Google Scholar
- Slade, J. W. (1997). Pornography in the late nineties. Wide Angle, 19(3), 1–12.Google Scholar
- Sobchack, V. (1992). The address of the eye: A phenomenology of film experience. Princeton, NJ: Princeton UP.Google Scholar
- Takayama, H. (Director). (1987). Chôjin Densetsu Urotsukidôji. Urotsukidoji OVA Perfect Collection. Subtitled VHS. Central Park Media Corporation, 1993.Google Scholar
- Toyooka, K., et al. (Director). (1994). New angel. Studio Angel, Pink Pineapple. Subtitled VHS. SoftCel Pictures, 1994.Google Scholar
- Williams, L. (1999). Hard core: Power, pleasure and the “Frenzy of the visible” (expanded edition). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Yamada, K., et al. (Directors). (1992). Mamono Hunter Yôko. Madhouse, NCS, Toho. Devil Hunter Yohko. Subtitled VHS. Released in North America by A.D. Vision.Google Scholar
- Yamamoto, Y., & Yamaguchi, M. (Directors). (1993). Utsukishiki Sei no Dendôshi Rei Rei. KSS, AIC. Rei Rei. Subtitled DVD. SoftCel Pictures, 2003.Google Scholar
- Yuyama, K., & Watanabe, T. (Directors). (1994). Otenki Oneesan. OB Planning, Toho. Weather report girl. Subtitled VHS. Critical Mass Video, 1996.Google Scholar