When Whites Love a Black Leader: Race Matters in Obamerica
- 582 Downloads
“To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle,” George Orwell (1946) stated a while ago. I am convinced that we, blacks in the USA, are not able to see what is in front of our nose in this election cycle. Instead, we are seeing what we want and long to see. I am one-hundred percent sure that until about a year ago, almost all of us, as well as progressive race analysts out there, would have agreed with the following proposition: race matters in the USA have stagnated or, worse yet, regressed (Steinberg 2001). We had plenty of objective and subjective indicators to make our point. Objective indicators show that many of the country’s racial outcomes are still mired in a pre-civil rights mindset. The separate and unequal fallout from Hurricane Katrina, voter disenfranchisement, incarceration rates seven times those of whites (Pettit and Western 2004), persistent and growing wealth inequality (Oliver and Shapiro 2006; Shapiro 2004), residential segregation patterns and...
KeywordsObama Color-blind racism Social-movements
- Bai, M. (2008, August 6). Is Obama the End of Black Politics? The New York Times. (Electronic Edition). Retrieved October 19, 2008. From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/magazine/10politics-t.html?scp=1&sq=The%20end%20of%20black%20politics&st=cse.
- Bobo, L., Kluegel, J. R., & Smith, R. A. (1996). Laissez–Faire racism: the crystallization of a ‘Kindler, Genter’ Anti-black Ideology. Russell Sage Foundation: Retrieved From http://epn.org/sage/rsbobo1.html. September 15, 2008.
- Bonilla-Silva, E. (1999). The new racism: Racial structure in the United States 1960s–1990s. In P. Wong (Ed.), Race, ethnicity, and nationality in the United States: Toward the twenty-first century. Boulder CO: Westview.Google Scholar
- Bonilla-Silva, E. (2001). White supremacy and racism in the post civil rights era. Boulder Co: Rienner.Google Scholar
- Bonilla-Silva, E. (2006). Racism without racists 2nd Edition. Oxford: Roman and Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Calem, P. S., Hershaff, J. E., & Wachter, S. M. (2004). Neighborhood patterns of subprime lending: evidence from disparate cities. University of Pennsylvania Law Institute for Law and Ethics Research Paper.Google Scholar
- Cruz, G. (2007). October 21. (Electronic Version). Jindal triumphant in Louisiana. Time.Google Scholar
- D’Souza, D. (1995). The end of racism. New York: Free Press Paperbacks.Google Scholar
- Elliott, A. (2008, June 24) Muslim voters detect a snub from Obama. The New York Times. (Electronic Edition). Retrieved September 16, 2008. From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/us/politics/24muslim.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1214284900-y8qD2VNyZXDLZT11eQ1yJw.
- Fainstein, N. (2002). Race, class, and segregation: discourses about African Americans. In Fainstein and Cambell (Eds.), Readings in Urban Theory 2nd Edition. Malden MA: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Ford, G. (2008). Obama: what blacks and progressives have bought into. The Black Agenda Report. Retrieved September 17, 2008. From http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=553&Itemid=1.
- Glenn, C. L., & Cunningham, L. J. (2007). The power of black magic: the magical negro and white salvation in film. Journal of Black Studies. Sage Online First. Retrieved on September 18, 2008. From http://jbs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/0021934707307831v1.
- Gonzalez, M. (2008). The Obama Craze. Counterpunch.org. Retrieved September 16, 2008. From http://www.counterpunch.org/gonzalez02292008.html.
- Healy, P. (2007, November 27). Hillary’s Secret Weapon; Colin Powell. The New York Times. (Electronic Version). Retrieved September 16, 2008. From http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/clinton-to-colin-powell-be-my-diplomat/?scp=3&sq=Hillary%20Clinton%20Powell&st=cse.
- Herman, E. S. and Peterson, D. (2008, September). Jeremiah Wright in the propaganda system. (Electronic version). Monthly Review. 60 (4)Google Scholar
- Horton, H. D. (1998) Toward a critical demography of race and ethnicity: Introduction of the R’word. Albany, New York; Center for Social and Demographic Analysis.Google Scholar
- Kinder, D. R., & Sanders, L. (1996). Divided by color. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- King, M. L. Jr. Dr. (1967). Beyond Vietnam. Address delivered to the Clergy and Laymen Concerned about Vietnam, at Riverside Church, New York City, April 4,1967. Retreived September 16, 2008. From http://www.stanford.edu/group/King/publications/speeches/Beyond_Vietnam.pdf.
- Kozol, J. (2005). The shame of the nation: the restoration of apartheid schooling in America. Crown.Google Scholar
- Massey, D., & Denton, N. (1993). American apartheid: Segregation and the making of the underclass. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Obama, B. (2008, July 14). My plan for Iraq The New York Times. Retrieved September 1, 2008 From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/opinion/14obama.html.
- Obama Seeks Powell’s Advice on Policy Issues. (2007, June 11). The New York Times. (Electronic Edition) Retrieved September 16, 2008. From http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/11/us/politics/11powell.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=Powell%20Obama&st=cse&oref=slogin.
- Oliver, M. L., & Shapiro, T. M. (2006). Black wealth/white wealth tenth anniversary edition. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Orwell, G. (1946). In front of your nose, 1946–1950. In S. Orwell & I. Angus (Eds.). 1968. The Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters of George Orwell, Volume 4. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World.Google Scholar
- Orwell, G. (1956). Animal farm: A fairy story. New York: New American Library, Penguin.Google Scholar
- Pfleger, M., & Obama, B. (2008, May 30). Chicago tribune. Retrieved on May 30, 2008. From http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-michael-pfleger-barack-obama-080530-ht,0,2083415.story.
- Prashad, V. (2007, November 7). The rhetoric of racism: the apotheosis of Bobby Jindal. Counterpunch.org. Retrieved September 15, 2008. From http://www.counterpunch.org/prashad11072007.html
- Reed, A. (2007, November). Sitting this one out. The Progressive.Google Scholar
- Reed, A. (2008, July 16). Where Obamaism seems to be going. The Black Agenda Report. Retreived August 27, 2008 From http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=697&Itemid=1.
- Ridgeway, G. (2008). Analysis of racial disparities in the New York police department’s stop, question, and frisk practices. Santa Monica, CA: The Rand Corporation.Google Scholar
- Ridgeway, J. (2007, July 26). Bill Richardson: in big oil’s pockets? Mother Jones.Google Scholar
- Royster, D. A. (2003). Race and the invisible hand: How white networks excluded black men from blue-collar jobs. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Shapiro, T. (2004). The hidden cost of being African American. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Steinberg, S. (2001). Turning back: The retreat from racial justice in American thought and policy. Boston, MA: Beacon.Google Scholar
- Williams, P. J. (2007, July 12). Mourning in America. The Nation.Google Scholar
- Wilson, W. J. (1978). The declining significance of race: Blacks and changing American institutions. Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Younge, G. (2007). We Used to Think There Was a Black Community. The Guardian. (Electronic Edition) Retrieved September 16, 2008. From http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/nov/08/usa.gender.