It is widely believed that women who live together or who are close friends synchronize their menstrual cycles. We reexamined this phenomenon in two ways. First, we collected data on menstrual cycles from 186 Chinese women living in dorms for over a year. We found that women living in groups did not synchronize their cycles. Second, we reviewed the first study reporting menstrual synchrony. We found that group synchrony in that study was at the level of chance. We then show that cycle variability produces convergences and subsequent divergences of cycle onsets and may explain perceptions of synchrony.
Key wordsEstrous synchrony Human pheromones Menstrual cycles Menstrual synchrony Reproductive synchrony
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arden, M. A., L. Dye, and A. Walker 1999 Menstrual Synchrony: Awareness and Subjective Experiences. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 17:255–265.Google Scholar
- Calhoun, J. 1962 The Ecology and Sociology of the Norway Rat. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare.Google Scholar
- Cepicky, P., F. Mandys, L. Hlavicka, and K. Sosnova 1996 Absence of Menstrual Cycle Synchronization in Mentally Affected Women Living in a Social Welfare Institute. Homeostasis in Health and Disease 37:249–252.Google Scholar
- Goldman, S. E., and H. G. Schneider 1987 Menstrual Synchrony: Social and Personality Factors. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality 2:243–250.Google Scholar
- 1992 Social Factors and Menstrual Synchrony in a Population of Nurses. In Menstrual Healthin Women’s Lives, A. J. Dan and L. L. Lewis, eds. Pp. 246–253. Chicago: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Kohl J. V., M. Atzmueller, B. Fink, and K. Grammer 2001 Human Pheromones: Integrating Neuroendocrinology and Ethology. Neuroendocrinology Letters 22:309–321.Google Scholar
- 2004 Avoiding Synchrony as a Strategy of Female Mate Choice. Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology, and Life Sciences 8:147–176.Google Scholar
- Skandhan, K. P., A. K. Pandya, S. Skandhan, and Y. B. Mehta 1979 Synchronization of menstruation among intimates and kindreds. Panminerva Medica 21:131–134.Google Scholar
- Stephens, M. A. 1965 The Goodness-of-fit Statistic VN: Distribution and Significance Points. Biometrika 52:309–321.Google Scholar
- Winfree, A. T. 1980 The Geometry of Biological Time. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar