Menstrual synchrony: Fact or artifact?
Although more than thirty years of intensive investigation have passed since McClintock first published results on menstrual synchrony, there is still no conclusive evidence for the existence of this phenomenon. Indeed, a growing body of nullresult studies, critiques of menstrual synchrony studies, and the lack of convincing evolutionary explanations bring into question the existence of this phenomenon. This paper presents results of a study conducted over five consecutive months in Polish student dormitories. In 18 pairs and 21 triples of college-age women, menstrual synchrony was not found. Social interactions, considered the most important factor mediating the effect of menstrual synchrony, was unrelated to any difference in menstrual cycle onsets. Initial menstrual onset difference was influenced by woman’s body mass and menstrual cycle irregularity. These results provide further evidence that women do not synchronize their menstrual cycles.
Key wordsMenstrual cycle Menstrual synchrony Social interactions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goldman, C. A., and H. G. Schneider 1987 Menstrual Synchrony. Social and Personality Factors. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality 2:243–250.Google Scholar
- Harlow S. D., and S. A. Ephross 1995 Epidemiology of Menstruation and Its Relevance to Women’s Health. Epidemiologic Reviews 17:265–285.Google Scholar
- 2004 Avoiding Synchrony as the Strategy of Female Mate Choice. Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology and Life Sciences 8:147–176.Google Scholar
- Treloar, A. E., R. E. Boynton, G. B. Borghild, and B. W. Brown 1967 Variations in the Human Menstrual Cycle through Reproductive Life. International Journal of Fertility 12:77–126.Google Scholar
- Yang, Z., and J. C. Schank 2006 Women Do Not Synchronize Their Menstrual Cycles. Human Nature 17:433–447.Google Scholar
- Ziomkiewicz, A. 2005 Body Size, Energetic Status and Estradiol Levels in Reproductive Age Women. Is It Good to Be Medium? Paper presented at the 10th Congress of the European Society for Evolutionary Biology, 15–20 August, Krakow.Google Scholar