How Niche Magazines Survive and Thrive Through an Industry in Turmoil
- 191 Downloads
In recent years, many general-interest magazine publishers have had problems maintaining stability. What can these publications learn from smaller, niche titles that have remained successful through the same industry changes? This paper will examine three major strengths for niche magazines that general-interest magazine publishers lack: their reader devotion, their careful approaches to digitalization, and their use of paid digital content. These strengths are analyzed in three case studies from different sub-genres of niche publishing: a city magazine, a luxury product magazine, and a hobby magazine. This paper offers practical suggestions general-interest magazines can implement. Looking at the successful practices suggests the potential to address industry-wide problems and to potentially yield more stable magazine publishing environments.
KeywordsNiche magazines Special-interest magazines Audience devotion Digitalization Subscription models
- 1.Davis, B. Circulation difficulties jeopardizing the future of consumer magazines. Folio Mag Mag Manag. 2016;45(5):15–18 (Business Source Premier).Google Scholar
- 2.Haughney, C. Loyal Subscribers Keep Hobby Magazines Afloat. New York Times, December 27, 2013, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/28/business/media/loyal-subscribers-keep-hobby-magazines-afloat.html.
- 3.Carroll, D. Editorial Operations Director, Essence Communications Inc. Digital Interview via E-mail with Kevin M. Baker. December 2017.Google Scholar
- 4.Rockmore, Bette, Past Senior Vice President of Advertising and Sponsor Sales, Sirius XM Radio Inc., Interpersonal Interview via Telephone with Kevin M. Baker, December 14, 2017.Google Scholar
- 5.Baltimore Magazine, Baltimore Magazine Media Kit 2017, Baltimore: Rosebud Entertainment, LLC., 2017, http://www.baltimoremagazine.com/assets/pdf/17MediaKit_AllInOne_email_norates_071217.pdf.
- 6.Baltimore Magazine. Issue Archive, Rosebud Entertainment, Updated December 2017, http://www.baltimoremagazine.com/archives; Baltimore Magazine, Baltimore Magazine Media Kit 2017.
- 7.Magzter, Baltimore Magazine—Get Your Digital Subscription, Magzter, Inc., Updated November 2017, https://www.magzter.com/US/Rosebud-Entertainment-L.L.C./Baltimore-magazine/Lifestyle.
- 8.Baltimore Magazine. New Order, Rosebud Entertainment, Updated 2017, https://bal.pcdfusion.com/pcd/Order?iKey=I**CSO.
- 9.Wine Enthusiast, About Us|Wine Enthusiast Magazine. Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Updated 2018, https://www.winemag.com/about-us.
- 10.Wine Enthusiast, Wine Enthusiast Media Kit 2017. New York: Wine Enthusiast Media, 2017. http://www.winemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/W.
- 11.Wine Enthusiast, Subscribe: Digital|Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Updated 2018, https://www.winemag.com/subscribe-digital.
- 12.Zinio, Wine Enthusiast Magazine—Online Magazine, Zinio, LLC, Updated April 2018, https://www.zinio.com/publisher/wine-enthusiast-magazine-m8143#.
- 13.Google Play. Wine Enthusiast Magazine—Newsstand on Google Play, Google, Updated April 2018, https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/details/Wine_Enthusiast_Magazine?id = CAowo9VR.
- 14.iTunes. Wine Enthusiast Magazine on the App Store, Apple, Inc., Updated 2018, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wine-enthusiast-magazine/id633452277?mt = 8&ign-mpt = uo%3D4 .
- 15.Wine Enthusiast. “Wine Enthusiast Magazine | Subscriptions.” Wine Enthusiast Magazine. Updated 2017, https://wne.pcdfusion.com/pcd/Order?iKey=I**WB7.
- 16.Woodworker’s Journal, Who is WJ? Woodworker’s Journal, Updated March 16, 2018, http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/advertisements/advertising-information.
- 17.Woodworker’s Journal, Demographics, Woodworker’s Journal, Updated March 16, 2018, http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/advertisements/reader-profile.
- 18.Woodworker’s Journal, Subscribe Now, Woodworker’s Journal, Updated 2018, https://subscribe.woodworkersjournal.com/pubs/RK/WWJ/Print_I7H104.jsp?cds_page_id = 220473&cds_mag_code = WWJ&id = 1521395969123&lsid = 80771257403021150&vid = 3.
- 19.Woodworker’s Journal, Digital Subscription-FAQ, Woodworker’s Journal, Updated March 16, 2018, https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/contact-us/digital-subscription-faq.
- 20.Woodworker’s Journal. Circulation, Woodworker’s Journal, Updated March 16, 2018, http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/advertisements/circulation.
- 21.Rockmore, Bette, Past Senior Vice President of Advertising and Sponsor Sales, Sirius XM Radio Inc., Interpersonal Interview via Telephone with Kevin M. Baker, April 2, 2018.Google Scholar