The International Standard Text Code: Call to Action, or Distraction?
- 197 Downloads
Book publishers now have more products to keep track of than ever before: books, eBooks, apps, online products, and the list goes on. Traditionally publishers have used the ISBN to track products in the supply chain. But with as many as 24 ISBNs now associated with a bestselling title, the publishing industry looks to a new identifier, the International Standard Text Code (ISTC), to keep ISBNs in check. In a sea of data, will the ISTC help keep publishers afloat, or weigh them down?
KeywordsData management DOI eBooks Identifiers ISBN ISTC Metadata ONIX Online products Publishing supply chain
- 1.Neate J. “Analyse Your Sales and Circulation.” Presentation at the Book Industry Communication (BIC) International Standard Text Code Seminar, July 2, 2010. Accessed 28 Jan 2012. http://www.bic.org.uk/files/pdfs/100702%20neate.pdf.
- 2.International ISTC Agency. “Allocating ISTCs,” International ISTC Agency, 2009. Accessed 25 Sept 2011. http://www.istc-international.org/html/about_allocating.aspx.
- 3.Graham Bell (EDItEUR) in discussion with the author, January 2012.Google Scholar
- 4.Nisbet AF (Workman Publishing), e-mail message to the author, April 2, 2012.Google Scholar
- 5.EDItEUR. “ONIX for Books,” EDItEUR, 2012. Accessed 31 Mar 2012. http://www.editeur.org/15/Previous-Releases/.
- 6.Book Industry Study Group (BISG). “ONIX Users Directory,” BISG, 2012. http://www.bisg.org/directory/onix.php.
- 7.Paskin N. Digital Object Identifier (DOI®) System. In: Encyclopedia of library and information sciences. 3rd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2010. p. 1586–592.Google Scholar
- 8.R. R. Bowker LLC. “ISBN History,” R.R. Bowker LLC, 2011. http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/international/history.asp.
- 9.Book Industry Study Group (BISG). “BISG Policy Statement POL-1101: Best Practices for Identifying Digital Products,” BISG, 2011. Accessed 12 Dec 2011. http://www.bisg.org/docs/BISG_Policy_1101.pdf.
- 10.ISSN. “All About ISSN,” ISSN, 2008. Accessed 1 Apr 2012. http://www.issn.org/2-22636-All-about-ISSN.php.
- 11.Morgan C. “The Digital Object Identifier (DOI),” UKSG: Connecting the Knowledge Community, 1998. Accessed 1 Apr 2012. http://www.uksg.org/serials/doi#6.
- 12.Attanasio P. “The Use of DOI in eContent Value Chain,” Multilingual European DOI Registration Agency, 2003. Accessed 22 Jan 2012. http://www.medra.org/stdoc/casalini_bc_en.pdf.
- 13.DOI. “Factsheet: DOI® System and Standard Identification Schemes,” The DOI System, April 1, 2010. Accessed 1 Apr 2012. http://www.doi.org/factsheets/DOIIdentifiers.html.
- 14.Van Rijn E (University of California Press), e-mail conversation with the author, March 1, 2012.Google Scholar
- 15.International ISTC Agency. “ISTC User Manual 2009,” International ISTC Agency, 2009. Accessed 25 Sept 2011. http://www.istc-international.org/multimedia/pdfs/ISTC_User_Manual_2009v1.0.pdf.
- 16.International ISTC Agency, e-mail conversation with the author, April 3, 2012.Google Scholar
- 17.Dawson L (R.R. Bowker LLC), e-mail message to the author, March 26, 2012.Google Scholar
- 18.International ISTC Agency, 2009. http://www.istc-international.org/html/default.aspx.
- 19.Kasdorf B (Apex Covantage), e-mail message to the author, March 31, 2012.Google Scholar