Five Ways to Improve Constructionist Craft in Social Problems Inquiries: Notes from an Apprenticeship
- 41 Downloads
John Kitsuse’s views about the prospects for the constructionist analysis of social problems are distilled in summary form. As a mentor to the present author, Kitsuse expressed his appreciation for the continued growth and development of the tradition of sociological analysis that that he was instrumental in developing, while also believing that the perspective had been sidetracked in ways that were reminiscent of the morass that eventually undermined what was commonly called “labeling theory,” also known as the “societal reaction” perspective on deviance. Kitsuse’s positive vision for the constructionist tradition is framed in terms of the craft that imbues this mode of analysis with its vigor and perspicacity.
KeywordsJohn Kitsuse Social constructionism Ethnographic research Methodology
- Cicourel, A. V. (1968). The social Organization of Juvenile Justice. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Conrad, P., & Schneider, J. W. (1992). Deviance and medicalization: From badness to sickness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.Google Scholar
- Holstein, J. A., & Gubrium, J. F. (2003). A constructionist analytics for social problems. in. J.a. Holstein and G. miller (Eds.), Challenges and Choices: Constructionist Perspectives on Social Problems (pp. 187–208). New York, NY: Aldine de Gruyter.Google Scholar
- Ibarra, P. R., & Kitsuse, J. I. (1993). Vernacular constituents of moral discourse: An interactionist proposal for the study of social problems. In J. A. Holstein & G. Miller (Eds.), Reconsidering social constructionism: Debates in social problems theory (pp. 25–58). New York: Aldine de Gruyter.Google Scholar
- Jenness, V. (1993). Making it work: The prostitutes’ rights movement in perspective. New York, NY: Aldine de Gruyter.Google Scholar
- Kitsuse, A. (2009). Friends along the way. The American Sociologist, 40, 15.20.Google Scholar
- Loseke, D.R. 1992. The battered woman and shelters: The social construction of wife abuse . Albany, NY: SUNY Press.Google Scholar
- Spector, M. (2018). Constructing social problems: Forty years later. The American Sociologist. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12108-018-9391-3.
- Spector, M., & Kitsuse, J. I. (1977). Constructing social problems. Cummings: Menlo Park, CA.Google Scholar