Primary Tonsillar Epithelioid Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma: Report of a Rare Case Mimicking Undifferentiated Carcinoma and a Brief Review of the Literature
We present a 52 years old male with a left tonsillar follicular dendritic cell sarcoma with prominent epithelioid features that on light microscopical examination bore a striking resemblance to a lymphoepithelial or undifferentiated carcinoma. The tumor was immunohistochemically positive for CD21 and CD35 and negative for cytokeratins. Two distinct histopathological features (both present in our case) that may serve as clues to the correct diagnosis on light microscopical examination were formation of ectatic pseudovascular spaces lined by malignant cells and the presence of non-neoplastic multinucleated giant cells. Familiarity with the above-mentioned morphological clues, and awareness that this tumour may occur in anatomical sites outside the lymph node, are essential for accurate diagnosis.
KeywordsDendritic cell sarcoma Follicular Palatine tonsil Carcinoma Oropharynx
No funding was received.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The author has no conflict of interest.
It is our institution’s policy not to require formal ethical approval for reports on up to two patients.
- 1.Monda L, Warnke R, Rosai J. A primary lymph node malignancy with features suggestive of dendritic reticulum cell differentiation. A report of 4 cases. Am J Pathol. 1986;122(3):562–72.Google Scholar
- 5.Chan JK, Fletcher CD, Nayler SJ, Cooper K. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma. Clinicopathologic analysis of 17 cases suggesting a malignant potential higher than currently recognized. Cancer. 1997;79(2):294–313.Google Scholar
- 6.Perez-Ordonez B, Erlandson RA, Rosai J. Follicular dendritic cell tumor: report of 13 additional cases of a distinctive entity. Am J Surg Pathol. 1996;20(8):944–55.Google Scholar
- 12.Pecorella I, Okello TR, Ciardi G, Ochola E, Ogwang MD. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the head and neck. Literature review and report of the tonsil occurrence in a Ugandan patient. Pathologica. 2017;109(2):120–5.Google Scholar
- 13.Aydin E, Ozluoglu LN, Demirhan B, Arikan U. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the tonsil: case report. European archives of oto-rhino-laryngology: official journal of the European Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies (EUFOS) : affiliated with the German Society for Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. Head Neck Surg. 2006;263(12):1155–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-006-0124-9.Google Scholar
- 14.Bothra R, Pai PS, Chaturvedi P, Majeed TA, Singh C, Gujral S, et al. Follicular dendritic cell tumour of tonsil—is it an under-diagnosed entity? Indian J Cancer. 2005;42(4):211–4.Google Scholar
- 15.Chan JK, Tsang WY, Ng CS, Tang SK, Yu HC, Lee AW. Follicular dendritic cell tumors of the oral cavity. Am J Surg Pathol. 1994;18(2):148–57.Google Scholar
- 16.Nayler SJ, Verhaart MJ, Cooper K. Follicular dendritic cell tumour of the tonsil. Histopathology. 1996;28(1):89–92.Google Scholar
- 18.Dominguez-Malagon H, Cano-Valdez AM, Mosqueda-Taylor A, Hes O. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the pharyngeal region: histologic, cytologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural study of three cases. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2004;8(6):325–32.Google Scholar
- 22.Grogg KL, Lae ME, Kurtin PJ, Macon WR. Clusterin expression distinguishes follicular dendritic cell tumors from other dendritic cell neoplasms: report of a novel follicular dendritic cell marker and clinicopathologic data on 12 additional follicular dendritic cell tumors and 6 additional interdigitating dendritic cell tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2004;28(8):988–98.Google Scholar
- 26.Kulkarni MP, Momin YA, Deshmukh BD, Sulhyan KR. Extranodal follicular dendritic cell sarcoma involving tonsil. Malays J Pathol. 2015;37(3):293–9.Google Scholar
- 27.Li L, Shi YH, Guo ZJ, Qiu T, Guo L, Yang HY, et al. Clinicopathological features and prognosis assessment of extranodal follicular dendritic cell sarcoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16(20):2504–19.Google Scholar
- 29.McDuffie C, Lian TS, Thibodeaux J. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the tonsil: a case report and literature review. Ear Nose Throat J. 2007;86(4):234–5.Google Scholar
- 34.Suhail Z, Musani MA, Afaq S, Zafar A, Ahmed Ashrafi SK. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of tonsil. J Coll Physicians Surg–Pak. 2010;20(1):55–6. doi:01.2010/jcpsp.5556.Google Scholar
- 35.Tisch M, Hengstermann F, Kraft K, von Hinuber G, Maier H. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the tonsil: report of a rare case. Ear Nose Throat J. 2003;82(7):507–9.Google Scholar
- 37.Vargas H, Mouzakes J, Purdy SS, Cohn AS, Parnes SM. Follicular dendritic cell tumor: an aggressive head and neck tumor. Am J Otolaryngol. 2002;23(2):93–8.Google Scholar
- 39.Perez-Ordonez B, Rosai J. Follicular dendritic cell tumor: review of the entity. Semin Diagn Pathol. 1998;15(2):144–54.Google Scholar
- 42.Amiri-Kordestani L, Priebat D, Chia SH. Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma of the neck: case report and review of current diagnostic and management strategies. Ear Nose Throat J. 2010;89(7):E7–E14.Google Scholar